Sunday, service popular Spring Break diversions

For some Northwestern students, Spring Break is for sun, sand … and booze.

“A lot of (students) go to Mexico, especially if they’re under 21, so they don’t have to deal with the age restrictions for drinking,” said Katy Bergstrom, a Weinberg senior.

Bergstrom said that after looking at many travel agencies and vacation packages, she and three friends decided to go to Barbados for Spring Break.

“It has beaches and sun,” Bergstrom said. “That’s pretty much our requirements.”

In addition to sun and fun, students will go home, take a service trip or even start to secure summer jobs during their nine-day breather.

Bergstrom and her friends aren’t the only students headed south of the border. Joelle Goldman, manager of STA Travel, 900 Church St., said the three of the most popular Spring Break destinations for students this year are Cabo San Lucas, Mexico; Cancun, Mexico; and Costa Rica.

Goldman said that Cancun tends to be popular because students can buy packages that include airfare, hotel and transfers.

But some students are seeking unique travel destinations.

“Students are doing many more different things than they’ve done in the past,” Goldman said.

Alex Johnson is an example of this trend. For the first time in three years, he decided to break out of his routine.

“I don’t want to go home,” the Weinberg junior said. “I’ve gone home for the past two years. I actually want to do something different this year.”

Johnson decided to go to Buffalo, N.Y., with two friends. “We’re going to party,” he said.

Although many students head to the beaches to relax, others choose an alternative. Alternative Student Breaks, that is.

“I’m going on ASB. I want to do something useful with my Spring Break instead of sitting in front of my TV with a Hot Pocket,” said Sara Hong, a Weinberg sophomore.

Hong added that ASB can be easier on a student’s budget than the expensive trips some students plan.

“I have one friend who’s going to the Bahamas, and she’s probably drinking it up there,” she said.

Some NU fraternities spend their Spring Break together to be productive as well as to party.

Justin Reif, a Weinberg sophomore, said he is going on a leadership conference with his fraternity in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

“One of Phi Kappa Psi’s alumni has a mansion there that he invites certain chapters from all over the nation to for their Spring Breaks,” Reif said.

Reif said the fraternity has a four-hour conference every day during the break and then members “get to have fun.”

“It’s for business and pleasure,” he said.

For students who haven’t secured Spring Break plans and are searching for a last-minute trip, Goldman has some advice.

“Hurry up,” Goldman said. “There are still things out there. We can probably still get (students) to Cancun for under $1,000, but (they) should do it before the end of next week.”