Delt given sanctions privately

Delta Tau Delta International has sanctioned its Northwestern chapter following a joint investigation with the university into the alleged lewd photos taken at a pledge event the weekend of Jan. 17.

The exact sanctions have not been made public, but they are already in effect.

NU placed Delt under temporary suspension during the investigation into allegations made by a Communication freshman that fraternity members took lewd photos of her. She said during an overnight party for pledges about 20 fraternity members entered the library where she was with a pledge. She said she screamed at them to leave but they stayed briefly and took some photos.

Interfraternity Council President Mitch Holzrichter said the sanctions are mainly in response to the alcohol violations at the event and apply to the entire house.

At this point, Holzrichter said, the chapter probably will not be kicked off campus. Only NU’s Delt chapter can make the sanctions public.

“Sanctions, by nature, are against a whole house. We don’t deal with individual misconduct,” said Holzrichter, a Weinberg junior. “The environment in which this occurred is a bigger problem.”

Although Delt did not have a permit to serve alcohol at the event, Holzrichter said, underage drinking occurred.

Drew Suszco, president of Delt confirmed that the sanctions were alcohol-related.

“We are doing our best to recover from that mistake and return to good standing,” he said.

Delt International concluded its investigation last week and sent the findings to the university, said Kyle Pendleton, associate director of the office of fraternity and sorority life.

Pendleton said he has reviewed the report but cannot comment on its substance.

IFC’s judicial board will convene soon to decide any additional sanctions, said Holzrichter, who also serves as The Daily’s advertising manager. The seven-student board will review the report and hear both sides, then make a decision.

The process is expected to be finished by the end of the Winter Quarter, he said.

“The university has pretty much endorsed the sanctions. IFC will probably follow suit,” Holzrichter said. “I don’t anticipate that we will make any drastic changes.”

Holzrichter said the board hasn’t set a hearing date yet because of scheduling difficulties. The hearing process is deliberately slow to make the investigation as thorough as possible.