Same-sex marriage divides NU

Members of Northwestern’s Rainbow Alliance and other campus activists applauded Chicago Mayor Richard Daley’s Wednesday statement backing same-sex marriages.

“It was nice to hear that from the mayor of the third- largest city in the nation,” said Communication senior David Graddick, co-president of Rainbow Alliance, a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender advocacy group. “To me, it’s not a matter of if gay marriages will take place — it’s a matter of when.”

Daley’s support for same-sex marriage arrives at a time when nationwide attention has been drawn to the issue.

Almost 3,000 same-sex couples have been married over the past week in San Francisco, after city officials began issuing marriage licenses to interested couples. The city sued the state of California on Thursday to challenge the constitutionality of a law banning gay marriage.

In Massachusetts state lawmakers have failed to reach a consensus this month on an amendment to the state’s constitution that would ban same-sex marriages but allow civil unions between same-sex couples.

Cook County began allowing same-sex couples to register their partnerships this fall. The registry’s goal is to help couples apply for spousal benefits from employers, but it does not guarantee the same legal rights as marriage.

Although Daley said he would have “no problem” with official gay marriages, he added that he would not follow San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom’s lead in approving marriage licenses for same-sex couples, who cannot wed in Illinois under current state law.

“Marriage has been undermined by divorce, so don’t tell me about marriage,” Daley told The Associated Press. “Don’t blame the gay and lesbian, transgender and transsexual community.”

NU students have largely voiced support for same-sex marriage, although some have expressed reservations.

Music junior Sarah Wolff, who is gay and a Rainbow Alliance member, praised Daley’s statement, saying it draws attention to the issue.

“If two people who are in a serious relationship want to marry,” Wolff said, “I don’t understand why the government has the right to object to that.”

But she said people have to remember that NU’s LGBT community also must focus on other issues, such as basic discrimination. NU has no anti-discrimination policy for gender identity.

“I think to some, gay marriage is the only issue on the LGBT agenda right now,” she said. “I would disagree with that.”

Many conservative activists have said gay marriage violates the tradition and sanctity of marriage between a man and a women.

Medill freshman Guy Benson said he is on the side of the majority of Americans when he voices his opposition to same-sex marriage.

“I think that for gay-rights activists to try to pass legislation in favor of their cause would be a legitimate avenue to take,” said Benson, the conservative pundit on the WNUR-FM (89.3) show “Feedback.” “Unfortunately, though, they are increasingly trying to achieve their political ends through activist courts and civil disobedience.”

But Lane Fenrich, a history lecturer, said arguments that decry same-sex marriage are often hypocritical.

“How could wanting to get married violate marriage’s ‘sanctity?'” said Fenrich, who teaches courses on American gay and lesbian history. “That’s the silliest argument I’ve ever heard.”

LGBT issues became a hot topic at NU last Winter Quarter, when students began to push for a paid LGBT support staff and resource center. The center in Norris University Center opened in January, and this year’s freshman class was required to attend diversity-themed “Essential NU” sessions, some of which dealt with LGBT issues.

“I think society has brought more attention to it,” said Leslie DeMonte, the events production manager at Norris who is co-chairwoman of NU’s LGBT support network. As more students who came out in junior high and high school come to college, “universities have to supply services to students.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.