Coaches: Just say no to unsightly lanes (Men’s basketball notebook)

College basketball won’t adopt a couple of proposed regulations from international basketball — at least not this year.

The NCAA executive committee decided last week not to add a trapezoidal lane for the 2004-2005 season. The lane, which is used for international competition, is wider than the one currently in place.

The committee also agreed to keep the three-point line at its current distance of 19 feet, 9 inches. Members had considered moving the line to 20 feet, 9 inches — the international standard.

Most Big Ten coaches agreed with the executive committee’s decision not to change the lane. Iowa’s Steve Alford said the NCAA should never go to a trapezoidal shape.

“If widening the lane is an issue, then just put the (wider) NBA lane out there, so it looks like an American basketball court, so we don’t have all these goofy lines going out in all different directions,” he said.

Alford said the trapezoidal lane might hurt productivity of post players. With the larger lane, they’d be forced to spend most of their time even farther from the basket.

Purdue’s Gene Keady, who was an assistant coach for USA basketball in the 2000 Olympics, said he hardly noticed the difference the international lane made in Sydney. He said the NCAA is spending too much time on a minor issue.

“I’d really like it if they just left it alone,” he said. “Let’s just play.”

Most Big Ten coaches criticized the trapezoidal lane, but couldn’t reach a consensus on the three-point line. Minnesota’s Dan Monson said coaches tend to change their opinions depending on the talents of their players.

“I don’t know that it’s going to have a huge effect on the game,” Monson said.

Nittany Noise: With another win, Penn State will surpass its Big Ten victory total from last season.

The Nittany Lions (8-6, 2-1 Big Ten) won their first two conference games, defeating both Minnesota and Ohio State before falling to Michigan State. Last season, Penn State didn’t get its second — and final — Big Ten victory until March 8.

Since coach Ed DeChellis replaced Jerry Dunn after the 2002-03 season, the Nittany Lions have been on a bit of a roll. Their non-conference schedule included cupcakes Cleveland State and Bucknell, but Penn State’s two conference wins have helped DeChellis earn some respect.

The first-year coach said changing the losing culture hasn’t been easy, especially since the Nittany Lions won just five conference games in the last two seasons.

“It’s been a battle every single day to get them to think positively, to think the way we want them to think,” DeChellis said.

DeChellis will be rewarded for his efforts Saturday when the Nittany Lions welcome Michigan. The first 2000 fans will receive a DeChellis bobblehead.

Jitim time: Despite playing four years in the Big Ten’s largest media market, Jitim Young still has trouble getting noticed.

But Mike Davis, who saw Young drop 17 points on his Indiana squad Saturday, hasn’t lost track of the Wildcats’ leader.

“I think he’s underrated because he plays for Northwestern,” Davis said. “To me, he should definitely be first- or second-team All-Big Ten. But he won’t get the recognition that he deserves because of the team he’s playing for.”

That could change if Young is able to lead NU to the top half of the conference. Davis said already more people are talking about the NU senior because of the Cats’ strong start.

“He’s just a tough, hard-nosed guy,” Davis said.