Vigil celebrates King

As candles burned in Alice Millar Chapel on Friday, award-winning journalist George Curry ignited a crowd of more than 100 students, professors and community members with his speech about the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., affirmative action and the state of blacks today.

“Yes, there is racism in this country,” Curry said. “But don’t use racism as a crutch — you may forget how to walk. Don’t just talk about Dr. King. Act!”

Curry was the keynote speaker for the 25th annual Martin Luther King Jr. Forum and Candlelight Vigil presented by Alpha Phi Alpha, a historically black fraternity. The celebration also featured performances by the Alice Millar Chapel Choir, the Northwestern Community Ensemble and Nayo African American Dance Ensemble.

Alpha Phi Alpha has held the vigil for the past 25 years to honor King and to continue to partake in political and social activism, said fraternity vice president George Spencer.

“This is an important event not only for African Americans but for everyone,” said Spencer, a Communication senior.

Curry was picked as keynote speaker by the fraternity, the chaplain’s office and Director of African American Student Affairs Carretta Cooke. He is editor in chief of the National Newspaper Publishers Association News Service and BlackPressUSA.com, and his weekly column is syndicated in more than 200 black newspapers. The National Association of Black Journalists named him journalist of the year in 2003.

Given Curry’s prominent position in world affairs and in the black community, he was a logical choice, said Michael Blake, assistant vice president for the Midwestern region of Alpha Phi Alpha.

Blake, a Medill senior, recited King’s 1964 Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech at the end of the ceremony.

“We all realize the power of spoken word,” he said. “It can uplift people to hear the powerful message of Dr. King.”

Curry addressed the University of Michigan affirmative action case and bashed Supreme Court justice Clarence Thomas for opposing the affirmative action policies that helped him before. Thomas’ name sparked a murmur in the crowd.

“Oh yeah, I’m goin’ there,” Curry said.

Afterwards, students spoke about King and Curry as they left with their extinguished candles.

“I really had a deep desire to see who’s coming out for this event,” said Medill sophomore Malena Amusa, “I was impressed with the diversity of the crowd.”