GOP senate candidates debate money, immigration

With recent polls showing Jack Ryan and Jim Oberweis locked in adead heat in the Republican primary race for Illinois’ open U.S.Senate seat, all nine GOP candidates met in Fisk Hall on Saturdayto declare positions before an audience of 150 Northwesternstudents and Evanston residents.

Candidates addressed the audience one-by-one at the forum,sponsored by College Republicans, the Niles Township RepublicanOrganization, the Evanston Republican Organization and theRepublican Club of Evanston.

Nearly all the candidates — who are vying for retiring Sen.Peter Fitzgerald’s seat — lauded the war on terror and continuedefforts in Iraq, called for tax reform and offered mixed opinionson President Bush’s immigration policy.

Ryan, a former investor and teacher, placed national security atthe top of his priorities and criticized needless spending.

“Republicans haven’t done a good job of controlling spending,”he said, slamming corporate welfare, the capital gains tax and thefunneling of money to organizations such as NATO that he said don’tneed U.S. dollars.

Dairy magnate Oberweis, retired Air Force Gen. John Borling,businessman Andy McKenna and state Sen. Steven Rauschenberger alsoappealed to audience members for support. Oberweis criticizedBush’s immigration reform proposal, saying it rewards illegalimmigration.

“As your senator, I will refuse to support blanket amnesty indisguise, and that’s exactly what this proposal is,” Oberweissaid.

Oberweis also called for greater commitment to reforming tortlaws, which he said are driving doctors out of Illinois. Heaffirmed his support of the Patriot Act and praised efforts inIraq.

Several candidates also asked voters to seek out “honestleadership.”

“When we provide honest leadership, Republicans get excited andthey win,” McKenna said.

Rauschenberger said the primary will “be a signal as to wherethe Republican Party is headed” following the indictment of formerGov. George Ryan, a Republican, on federal corruption charges lastmonth.

Rauschenberger also said he would support an amendment banninggay marriage. The response was met with vigorous applause andshouts of “Here-here!” from audience members.

The other candidates in attendance were attorney Andy Martin,state attorney Jonathan Wright, retired veteran Norm Hill and Dr.Chirinjeev Kathuria, who emphasized his educational and businesscredentials and called upon minorities for support.

Those who stayed until the end of the two-and-one-half-hourforum said they found it helpful and informative.

“(Primaries are) so vital and fresh and you get a broad scope ofthe different kinds of people,” Weinberg freshman Asa Churchsaid

Church and others said it was hard to settle on a favorite, anindecision reflected in a Chicago Tribune/WGN-TV poll, which found57 percent of Republican primary voters still undecided.

College Democrats will co-sponsor a similar debate at 7 p.m.Wednesday at the Ryan Family Auditorium in the TechnologicalInstitute for candidates seeking the Democratic nomination for theseat. The Illinois primary is set for March 16. The deadline toregister to vote is Feb. 17.