Poli sci prof uses international experience to to earn grant

Growing up in Latin America with an Argentine father and an American mother, Northwestern political science Prof. Edward Gibson is a product of two cultures.

“I was able to move back and forth between both worlds very easily,” he said. “I was equally at ease in both cultures.”

During his childhood, Gibson lived in various Latin American countries, attending international schools and speaking English and Spanish.

His politically-aware family and his exposure to Latin American military coups drew him to politics, an attraction that shaped his career and research.

Gibson’s latest project was editing and contributing to the first book to focus on federalism and its effects in Latin America.

“Federalism and Democracy in Latin America” is set for release next month and includes contributions from scholars exploring federalism’s effects on democracy.

Most of Gibson’s research on Latin American politics has incorporated comparisons to events in the United States, not just focusing on U.S. influence on Latin America.

As a doctoral student at Columbia University in New York, he was captivated by the world of academia.

Last August he and political science Prof. Karen Alter were each granted fellowships from the George A. and Eliza Gardner Howard Foundation. Gibson’s fellowship has allowed him to analyze the backwater parts of countries and attempt to prove the political influence of these areas.

In 1998 Gibson was the first political scientist to receive the National Science Foundation CAREER grant, allowing him to mesh research with undergraduate teaching.

“I like to share my personal experiences, because they help to drive a point … engaging students at almost an emotional level,” Gibson said.

The grant gave undergraduate students an opportunity to visit Latin America to conduct field research for honors theses or senior projects.

“He helps personalize and illustrate some of the events that we’re studying,” said Doug Foster, a master of arts and liberal studies graduate student.

The teaching and research combination is the main reason why Gibson came to NU.

“I consider the undergraduate program at Northwestern the highlight of being here,” he said. “I really enjoy working with the students.”

Gibson has been teaching at NU since 1994. His colleague, Prof. Jeffrey Winters, said he holds Gibson in high esteem.

“Ed is that rare combination of insightful scholar and gifted teacher,” Winters said.

Gibson currently is on leave, but he will be back to teach Latin American politics next Fall Quarter.