Musical church tribute honors ‘those who serve’

Where can you find Evanston’s mayor, fire chief and police chief moving their heads and clapping together to the tune of pulsating music?

The three officials joined a crowd of about 300 people Saturday night at Faith Temple Church of God in Christ’s musical, “A Tribute to Those Who Serve.”

The event held at 1932 Dewey Ave. honored Evanston civil-service organizations for their contributions to the community and featured music, singing and mime performances showcasing youth from throughout the Chicago area.

Fire Chief John Wilkinson, Police Chief Frank Kaminski and about 20 other police officers and firefighters were present as their organizations were honored with black engraved plaques and oversized thank-you cards signed by members of the church and many of the night’s performers.

The Evanston branches of the U.S. Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines also were invited to take part in the event but chose not to attend.

“It was great,” Kaminski said. “The fact that the church took the time to put this together … we needed to be present. We needed to take the time to show our appreciation.”

Evanston Police Department officer Carl Fowler, received special recognition for serving Evanston’s youth as Evanston Township High School’s resource officer.

“He’s a role model for African-American young men,” ETHS Principal Denise Martin said.

Alisca Southall, one of Saturday night’s performers, wanted to show her appreciation to the civil servicemen and the armed forces.

“They’re giving their lives to save ours, and that’s what’s special about tonight,” said Southall, a 14-year-old member of The Voices of Faith Youth Choir.

Her choir and many members of the audience wore red, white and blue to show their gratitude.

The evening’s tribute also was a part of a weekend recognizing the youth members of Faith Temple.

The church’s own The Voices of Faith Youth Choir sang several patriotic songs and their stirring rendition of “Brighter Day” brought several audience members to their feet as the room was filled with near-deafening applause.

Mayor Lorraine H. Morton praised the children’s performances.

“I can’t tell you how proud I am of these children. They were absolutely fantastic,” she said, addressing the audience. “Am I going to see some more?”

And more she saw.

Big Hed Productionz, Pastor Chris Harris and the Bright Star Church of God in Christ Choir, The Light of Zion Mimes and the Youth Fellowship of Chicago all performed. Solos also were performed by Karla Clark; Crystal Harris; and Jamie Sherman, who is touring with “The Lion King.”

Frank Watson of Big Hed Productionz said he felt a special connection to the night’s events because of several personal ties. Watson said one of his friends who was in the Army died in a car accident in Kentucky, and added that two other friends served in Iraq — one who now is back in San Francisco.

“I was just hoping they’d come back home,” said Watson, 22, referring to his friends in the Middle East.

Minister John Phillips Jr. said he felt the tribute was a huge success despite some minor technical difficulties throughout the night.

He said he was especially thrilled the mayor, officers from the police department and members of the fire department were in attendance.

“We should (honor those who serve) on a regular basis,” Phillips said.