NU men’s swimmer look to build experience at Purdue

When asked how he thought his team will fare in this weekend’s Purdue Invitational, Northwestern men’s swimming coach Bob Groseth gave alittle chuckle and answered.

“We should do pretty well,” coach Groseth said, “I don’t think we’ll drown.”

NU seems poised to do much better than just keep their heads above water. The Cats, ranked No. 20 in the nation, boast the highest ranking of any team competing in the invitational.

The meet will be a big, three-day affair, starting today and running through Sunday. Southern Illinois, Buffalo and Ohio join Big Ten teams Iowa, Ohio State, and Purdue. Those three squads will be the most NU faces in a single meet before the team heads to the Big Ten championships Feb. 26.

Groseth said that the structure of the meet will allow the swimmers to get wet a little more than usual. Normally, each swimmer is allowed to compete in three races, but at Purdue swimmers can compete in as many as four.

“Everyone’s pretty healthy, so the guys will compete in their normal three events plus an extra one to give them that much more experience,” Groseth said.

The Cats have plenty of senior leadership that guides the team. Seniors Shelby Clark, Mark Hamming, Tony Swanson and Dan Williams have been standouts bookended by phenom freshmen Mike Alexandrov, Kevin Donahue and Matt Grevers. The talent in the sophomore and junior classes is just as strong, with sophomore Ben Dexter and junior Louis Torres turning in some solid performances all year.

The team is coming off a close loss to Wisconsin last weekend 121-110, which saw the Cats claw back after getting in the hole early.

“I was a little discouraged seeing guys get down on themselves after we got down early last weekend,” Groseth said. “We need to learn to maintain the intensity and concentrate on the task at hand, and not on something that’s already happened and out of our control.”