Day 2: Women’s Center helps CAPS treat abuse cases (Causes and care)

For help in handling the influx of new cases, Counseling and Psychological Services turns to other Northwestern resources, including the Women?s Center.

?CAPS refers to the Women?s Center when a student has a history of sexual abuse ? when they assess what the student needs,? said Women?s Center Director Renee Redd. ?(The Women?s Center) is one of the long-term treatment options.?

The center counsels women and men mainly on issues pertaining to sexual abuse, assault and harassment, although it also takes general cases. More than half of the cases the center sees are referrals from CAPS, Redd said.

The Women?s Center is a smaller resource than CAPS. The center has just five counselors, but it offers counseling for up to a year. Redd said the center sees about 100 students in an average year.

The center offers group sessions on topics ranging from relationships to eating disorders to women and anger.

Workshops and other outreach programs are important for helping more students in less time, and they can inspire students to seek help for their problems earlier, Redd said.

CAPS and the Women?s Center often work together on joint programs and firesides, Redd said.

?It?s a very good working relationship,? Redd said. ?Counseling at NU works well. CAPS has, I think, an excellent staff, and not all universities provide a Women?s Center staff.?