3-foot swastika, charged slur discovered on wall of Norris

A swastika was found on an outside wall of Norris UniversityCenter Sunday morning, marking the latest incident in a series ofcrimes targeting certain ethnicities on the Evanston Campus overthe last three quarters.

Located on the building’s east side, the swastika was nearlythree-feet high and accompanied by the phrase “Die Jews.”

Around 1:40 p.m. Sunday, a facilities management worker usedspray paint to cover the vandalism. Meanwhile hundreds of Jewishhigh school students and parents were gathered in Norris forFACETS, a college conference and fair co-sponsored by the Hillelsof Illinois and the Fiedler Hillel Center.

Rabbi Michael Mishkin, Hillel’s executive director, saidalthough the vandalism would reflect poorly on Northwestern, hedidn’t think anyone was subjected to a direct physical risk.

“The biggest concern parents have, or we all have, is whetherstudents are in physical danger,” he said. “Fortunately I don’tthink that’s the case.”

Although the crime did not appear to be directed toward anindividual and police declined to comment on the epithet’sclassification, Richard Goldberg, co-chairman of the ASG hatecrimes task force, said he would hold an emergency meetingMonday.

“This last week has been a step backward in the progress we’vemade,” said Goldberg, a Medill junior.

He said the task force has been analyzing NU’s current policiesand campaign to bring more unity to campus. The university has alsostrengthened its policies concerning hate crime offenders. Despitethe efforts, Goldberg said, some criminals cannot be persuaded.

“People who hate don’t need a reason to hate,” he said. “Theyjust want attention and publicity. We can’t let them throw off ourmessage of togetherness.”

In addition to police, administrators also declined to commenton the incident Sunday.

At the FACETS conference, representatives from about 35 collegesprovided information to prospective Jewish students.

Joseph Sunshine, a University of Arizona alumnus who attendedthe conference with an admissions representative for the school,said he was saddened by the appearance of the swastika. But, headded, it would not change his perception of NU.

“I think every school across the nation has had problems withhate crimes, if you look deep enough,” he said. “I think there’strouble all around the world.”

But Chicago high school student Joanne Wolf, 16, said incidentsof vandalism such as the swastika could ultimately influence hercollege decision.

“I don’t want to go to a school where I’m hated,” she said.

see related story