FILM REVIEW: Charming ‘Elf’ fails to spread much holiday cheer

When the first shot of your film is Bob Newhart dressed as an elf, you know you’ve done something right. Forever underrated, Newhart is the perfect peripheral character to build a Hollywood movie around — familiar, friendly and warm.

“Elf” matches that wonderful atmosphere that Newhart epitomizes, but it fails to be anywhere near as funny as his television shows. Poisoned by the usual Hollywood snakes — sappy ending, empty sentimentality, bad writing — “Elf” is made watchable by its unusual family-friendliness and noble attempts to charm.

Will Ferrell stars as an elf named Buddy, who as a child snuck into Santa’s sack and was taken to the North Pole, where Newhart raised him. Of course, being human, Buddy quickly outgrew his fellow elves, and is sent back to New York City to meet his real dad, James Caan (who bears an uncanny resemblance to Ferrell).

Caan is on Santa’s (Ed Asner, in another bit of inspired casting) naughty list, probably because he’s a megalomaniacal children’s book publisher who doesn’t even print the endings to books (something the “Elf” filmmakers should consider). He sorely lacks the Christmas spirit, neglecting his too-young child Michael (Daniel Tay) and his wife (the ever-whiny Mary Steenburgen).

Ferrell performs with a caffeine-inspired ferocity, the likes of which the screen has never seen. Like a curious middle schooler, Ferrell plays Buddy like he’s got a 9-volt battery on his tongue — startled, surprised, and extremely shocked. Buddy is a bizarre combination of stunted emotional development, repressed homosexuality, and ADD. He’s not much of an elf, but it’s a pretty fascinating performance.

“Elf” has a strong cast (including a lively cameo by “The Station Agent” star Peter Dinklage) and cheery production values. It’s also imaginative and intermittently smart; a number of references to the Rankin/Bass claymation Christmas movies engage adults, and a hilariously subversive newscast at the film’s climax is a surprise, as is the “Lord of the Rings”-inspired four horsemen of Central Park.

It’s nice to see a movie aimed at kids that really is for kids. “Elf” is a holiday film, and like Christmas, it breathes with a clear, enjoyable atmosphere. There is no sexual innuendo, hardly any flatulence, and the most violent scene is a fantastically random snowball fight between Buddy, Michael and some bullies.

The problem is that “Elf” just doesn’t go anywhere, despite its wonderful tone and lightheartedness. Buddy’s fish-out-of-water exercises are tepid and unoriginal, the dialogue (particularly Caan’s) seems jarred and forced and the relationships among characters are flat. And, finally, most of the jokes fail — even the ones directed at children. Few things are worse than watching Will Ferrell prostitute himself for laughs in green tights and a pointy hat.

What does the film in is an extended cornball ending featuring would-be goosebump-making with Christmas carols, a grumpy old man learning the spirit of Christmas, a young boy realizing his potential, Buddy the elf finding acceptance and love and living proof that Christmas does exist. It is a scene so drenched in target-audience sentiment and convenience that it goes beyond the pleasantries of the rest of the film and becomes a scene so putrid it stains the rest of “Elf.”

“Elf” director Jon Favreau (writer and star of “Swingers”) smartly tiptoes around his Hallmark ending with a clever cameo by a claymation favorite. Those classic movies create the feeling of Christmas. “Elf” merely copies it. It’s a fun, valiant effort, but ultimately as disappointing as a lump of coal in a Christmas stocking. C