Dueling Wildcats can’t topple higher-ranked Ohio State (Fencing)

According to sabreist Lauren Van Gieson, the Northwestern fencing team met all of its goals at last weekend’s Ohio State Duels. Well, all but one.

The squad defeated six of its seven opponents at the meet, racking up an impressive combined score of 149-13. Against Chicago, the Wildcats (6-1, 2-1 Big Ten) won, 26-1, with both the epee and sabre squads going 9-0. Those squads were also perfect against Bowling Green, Michigan State and Case Western.

NU also beat Purdue and Cleveland State in the two-day event.

“We did really, really well,” Van Gieson said. “The only thing we didn’t achieve was the same thing we had trouble with last year — beating a team that was ranked above us.”

The Wildcats’ one loss came at the hands of host Ohio State, who swept the meet. This weekend was the first team competition of the year — although most of the fencers compete year round, this weekend they were all scored individually.

“I really like the team format a lot,” Van Gieson said. “Since we have more spirit than other schools, it makes it that much tougher to beat us. Sometimes I think we beat better teams just because we have so many teammates and friends supporting us.”

Also helpful is that the team didn’t lose any of its top fencers from last season. Junior captains Van Gieson and Lauren Dunn anchor the sabre squad, and junior Julie Foldi is one of the team’s best foilists. Van Gieson said that the addition of freshman foilist Jessica Florendo, who did not participate in this weekend’s meet, should make the squad even stronger for the remainder of the season.

The Cats will have their next chance against solid competition at the Northwestern Duels, which they host Nov. 14.