A healthy dose of offense (Men’s Basketball)

Just seconds after the opening tip-off of Tuesday night’s exhibition game, Mike Campbell tapped in an alley-oop, rendering the meager Welsh-Ryan crowd speechless.

The Wildcats were already down 2-0.

But that would be the last time the Cats trailed the Coaches vs. Cancer All-Stars. NU, led by Jitim Young’s 23 points, notched an 85-67 victory over the All-Stars, a team of former Division I players.

In his first game as NU’s official captain, Young made 7 of 13 shots and pulled down a team-leading 12 rebounds. He also provided some vocal leadership, yelling instructions at his teammates throughout the game.

“I had a little bit of everything today, “said Young, who played all 40 minutes. “That’s what I’m looking for from myself. I want to see, every game, can I get a little better?”

Young had 15 points by halftime, helping NU stake out a 36-32 lead at the break. The Cats had led 26-15 with seven minutes left in the half, but some sloppy play let the All-Stars back into the game.

After the break, however, the Cats firmly put the All- Stars away. The NU onslaught started 13 seconds into the second half, when T.J. Parker hit a 3-pointer to give the Cats a 7-point lead. From then on NU was firmly in control, leading by as many as 27 points with five minutes left.

For the first time in two years, Young and the Cats were joined on the court by Vedran Vukusic, a forward who returned from shoulder surgery and had a team-high six assists. Vukusic played 30 minutes, recording 9 points on 3-for-9 shooting, including two sharp drives to the basket.

“Oh, man, it felt like the good old days out there,” Young said. “He’s just a great all-around player.”

The 6-foot-8-inch sophomore also grabbed three rebounds, fewer than coach Bill Carmody had hoped for from one of his tallest players. But that didn’t really bother Carmody, who was thrilled to see one of his top players return from injury.

“He was a little carefree out there, but he can have one game like that,” Carmody said. “That guy can turn you on even if you don’t know anything about this game. Did you see all those passes he was throwing?”

Despite the injury to his right shoulder, Vukusic was using both his right and left hand in Tuesday’s game. Although he can’t forget last year’s misfortune, which came in the second exhibition game, Vukusic said he wasn’t worrying about his injury on the court.

“I’m not going to think about it,” Vukusic said. “I have to give 100 percent for my team.”

The Cats got strong offensive performances from all their starters, three of whom scored in double figures. Parker had 14 points, making 2 of 3 3-pointers. Mohamed Hachad made 5 of 8 shots, recording 13 points.

Freshman Vince Scott, making his NU debut, had 10 points in 19 minutes. The six-foot-10 center looked winded at times and pulled down just five rebounds.

“I told him we have practices for three hours and he doesn’t look tired out there,” Carmody said. “It’s just apprehension, his first game, all that anxiety.”

Although his team allowed only 67 points, Carmody said NU’s defense still needs some work. That didn’t surprise him, though, as the Cats have concentrated on offense since starting practice last month.

The Cats committed 17 turnovers, a number that Carmody is hoping his team will lower as the season progresses. And while he wasn’t completely pleased with the way NU played Tuesday, he said he’s glad the Cats picked up the win, even if the result doesn’t count.

“If you don’t care about winning, then don’t keep score,” Carmody said.