Top teams set for in-state battle

Michigan at Mich. St.

Time: Noon
Place: East Lansing, Mich.
Line: Michigan by 4
TV: ABC
Records: Michigan (7-2, 4-1 Big Ten), Michigan State (7-1, 4-0)
What’s at stake: This in-state rivalry game is always an energized affair, but this year the stakes are higher than usual: Big Ten supremacy is on the line.
Overview: Michigan State carries an undefeated Big Ten record into November for the first time since 1966. The Spartans have thrived under first-year coach John L. Smith, winning five straight games behind a defense that is tied for first in the nation in turnover margin (plus-1.88 per game). Michigan has been on fire ever since its dramatic come-from-behind victory over Minnesota three weeks ago. The Wolverines have outscored opponents by 118-24 since then, including last week’s 31-3 trouncing of Purdue. Freshman Steve Breaston has been a diverse weapon for Michigan this season: He has already scored on a rush, a punt return and a reception, and has thrown a touchdown pass.

Ohio St. at Penn St.

Time: 3:30 p.m.
Place: State College, Pa.
Line: Ohio State by 7
TV: ABC
Records: Ohio State (7-1, 3-1), Penn State (2-6, 0-4)
What’s at stake: Ohio State tries to end a three-game losing streak in Happy Valley and stay near the top of the conference race. A win would begin the redemption for Penn State coach Joe Paterno, who has had his share of critics this season.
Overview: Historically, Penn State has been the better team head-to-head, winning 10 of the 18 games played between the programs. The Nittany Lions have struggled mightily this year, however, and are in danger of going 2-8 for the first time since 1931, when Paterno was 5 years old. The team will compete without leading receiver Tony Johnson, who has been suspended for another week after being charged with drunk driving. Ohio State’s anemic offense sprang to life last week, accumulating 603 yards, the highest Buckeyes total since 1995. Ohio State running back Lydell Ross led the way, running for a career-high 167 yards and three scores.

Illinois at Iowa

Time: 11:00 a.m.
Place: Iowa City, Iowa
Line: Iowa by 26
TV: ESPN Plus
Records: Illinois (1-8, 0-5), Iowa (6-2, 2-2)
What’s at stake: Iowa looks to deliver an eighth consecutive loss to the crippled Illini. Illinois is still searching for its first victory against a Division I-A opponent.
Overview: Before the Illini can play the Hawkeyes, they’ll have to worry about making it through practice. Illinois has suffered an astounding number of injuries thus far: wide receiver Lonnie Hurst will miss the rest of the season with a broken right leg, quarterback Jon Beutjer will not play again this year due to a back injury and running back E.B. Halsey will miss his second straight game. Much like last year when the Hawkeyes were co-Big Ten champions, Iowa has thrived behind a strong defense and excellent special teams. The Hawkeyes’ run defense ranks fifth nationally, allowing an average of only 73.6 yards per game. The team is in position to break Iowa’s school record of 79.7 yards allowed per game, a mark that was set in 1981.

Indiana at Minnesota

Time: 1 p.m.
Place: Minneapolis
Line: Minnesota by 28 1/2
TV: None
Records: Indiana (1-7, 0-4), Minnesota (7-2, 3-2)
What’s at stake: The Golden Gophers hope to avoid a third straight home loss and stay in the hunt for a Big Ten title.
Overview: After dropping back-to-back games to Michigan and Michigan State, Minnesota looked back on track last week with a 36-10 blowout victory over Illinois. Quarterback Asad Abdul-Khaliq threw for three touchdowns and true freshman Laurence Maroney ran for 179 yards and two scores. The Hoosiers have now lost 10 straight Big Ten games after losing 35-6 to Ohio State last week, while managing only 131 total yards. The Hoosiers have given Minnesota headaches in recent years, however, having won nine of the last 12 meetings.