Student charged in drug-related felonies

University Police released further information Friday to The Daily about an NU student who was arrested Oct. 18 and charged with dealing marijuana on campus.

Maya T. Jensen, a Weinberg sophomore, was arrested at about 5:45 p.m. at the University Library, according to the UP report.

Jensen, 20, was charged with four felonies: one count of delivery of marijuana 30 grams and under; one count of possession of marijuana over 30 grams; and two counts of possession of a controlled substance. Jensen also was charged with a misdemeanor count of possession of marijuana.

Under Illinois law, the Class 4 felony for marijuana delivery of 10.1 grams to 30 grams could lead to a prison term of one to three years, and up to $10,000 in fines. The other charges carry various potential punishments, depending on the type and amount of drug — details that have not yet been released because the arrest is part of an ongoing investigation, police said.

UP initially declined to say who or how many people were arrested but released this information to The Daily Friday afternoon.

Jensen, who was released Oct. 20 on $10,000 bond, declined to comment Sunday. She is scheduled to appear Nov. 6 at Circuit Court in Skokie, according to an official at the court.

A second female was taken into custody at the time Jensen was arrested, but the other woman was later released without charges, the report stated.

Witnesses told The Daily they saw plainclothes UP officers apprehend one woman inside the main entrance to the library and another outside of Kresge Centennial Hall between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. on Oct. 18.

Andrew Siegel, a McCormick junior, said he saw plainclothes policemen follow a young woman into the library and apprehend her near the main entrance of the library. Siegel said he was using the computers in the main area of the library Saturday evening when he saw a woman scan her WildCARD and enter the library.

“Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until the minute after she passed the turnstiles,” Siegel said. “She was very calm and she wasn’t trying to evade the police or anything. She just seemed like she was going to the library to study.”

Then, he said, two officers leapt over the turnstiles, yelled for her to stop and searched her bags. The woman cooperated and left with the officers, Siegel said.

Siegel said many people in the library saw the event but had trouble figuring out what happened.

“A bunch of people in that computer area were kinda shocked,” he said. “They just heard some yelling. It was over really quickly.”

“I had absolutely no idea what the deal was initially.”