Fearless Forecasters

Boo-yah.

Lagging far behind my competitorsin last week’s Forecasters, I knew I needed to stage a comeback — and I did.

After week 4, I was in the far-right position, quite an unfriendly place to be. My challengers (and a certain former DAILY staffer) were poking fun at me and I could barely hold my head up in public. (My boyfriend even asked me if I needed him to pick the games for me. I politely declined.)

Fortunately, last week I got some inspiration from my hometown team. As the Red Sox staved off elimination and forced a game 7 against the hated Yankees, I made my picks carefully.

And over the weekend, despite being mired in sorrow and anger at Grady Little’s poor managerial decisions, my luck began to change. It’s too late for my beloved Sox, but it’s not too late for me.

I’m taking my 10-2 record as a start, as I try to gain more ground on Andrea, who currently leads in this game.

Speaking of Andrea, apparently some of Northwestern’s athletes have begun to see what we’ve seen all this time. Admit it, you really are David’s “girl.” And there’s no reason to try to get on the good side of those athletes — despite Jim Sorgi’s absence from Wisconsin’s lineup, the Wildcats don’t have a chance.

Now Adam doesn’t seem to have quite as much faith in himself as I have in myself. I knew that I could get back to the left on my own. Adam, as he mentioned in last week’s column, clearly doesn’t believe in his abilities. Neither do I with his pick of Auburn. Whether his father makes the picks or he does, it seems that our editor in chief can’t win.

Jim, like me, has gone through an emotional rollercoaster this week with the Sox, so I won’t be too hard on him. But Bowling Green? That’s just foolish.

And our contest winner, Bradley Wadle, solved the problem from last week’s slate. He was smart enough to figure out that the incorrect e-mail address was listed — not my fault, of course. So he gets off the hook too, except for that Mississippi pick.

So I’m back in the game. Now all that’s left is for the Yankees to lose the Series and I’ll be perfectly happy.