Wheeler’s mother drops suit against supplement-maker

The mother of Northwestern University football player Rashidi Wheeler, who died during a 2001 training session, dismissed claims Tuesday against the manufacturers of a dietary supplement, the Associated Press reported.

Linda Will issued a statement saying she believes Northwestern coaches and staff were solely responsible for the Aug. 3, 2001 death of her son.

In July, Will’s lawyers amended their wrongful death lawsuit to include the supplement makers. At the time they said the statute of limitations was due to expire, so they added the companies as a precaution.

“It would be wrong for me to take money from the ephedra makers,” Will told the Chicago Sun-Times outside court Tuesday. “I am not going to do a dishonest act. I’m not going to take money just because I can.”

Wheeler collapsed and died, after participating in a conditioning drill at an illegal offseason practice. His parents sued Northwestern, claiming officials did not give their son, an asthmatic, timely or adequate medical treatment.

Northwestern argues ephedra-containing supplements Wheeler was taking caused an irregular heartbeat that led to his death. Spokesman Alan Cubbage told the AP Tuesday that Will’s decision won’t change the school’s position.

“Those supplements are unregulated and dangerous,” Cubbage said. “When Rashidi took the substances it caused a heart arrhythmia and that led to cardiac arrest.”

The university added manufacturers and sellers of the supplements to the lawsuit as third-party defendants in April 2002.

In recent months the focus of the Wheeler case has been set on medical records that were destroyed by Dr. Mark Gardner, the former director of Searle Student Health Services.

Gardner admitted to burning medical records from the July 12, 2001 physical he performed on Wheeler. The records might have shown whether Wheeler was taking supplements that could have led to his death barely three weeks later, including the supplements made by the company Will was suing.