City’s ethics board dismisses mystery misconduct claim

Evanston’s Board of Ethics Wednesday dismissed an ethics complaint brought before it, but board members couldn’t say whether the complaint was related to one accusing five aldermen of violating the city’s ethics code.

Evanston resident Daniel Feldman filed a complaint with the board last month, saying Alds. Arthur Newman (1st), Lionel Jean-Baptiste (2nd), Steven Bernstein (4th), Joseph Kent (5th) and Gene Feldman (9th) have a personal and financial stake in reconfiguring Evanston’s nine wards — thereby creating a conflict of interest if they were to vote on redistricting.

The ward redistricting of Evanston has been fiercely debated as some fear plans would split Northwestern into several wards, minimizing the student voting bloc, as well as dividing the black minority majority in two areas of the city.

The council could vote on redistricting as early as Oct. 27.

Newman, Kent and Gene Feldman said last month that Daniel Feldman’s claim was invalid. Daniel Feldman — a lawyer and former member of the board who is not related to Gene Feldman — did not return phone calls last week made when he filed the complaint.

Though the board could not disclose specific information about the ethics claim, board member Peter Godwin said this particular case was highly unusual.

“We’d never had this type of complaint before,” Godwin said. “We had to make sure that what we said in the public sphere was legitimate and did not implicate the rights of anyone in the complaint process.”

The board officially ruled it did not have jurisdiction over the claim, meaning the complaint did not apply to what the ethics code defined as ethical misconduct.

The board does not disclose specifics of claims that are filed to protect those accused of misconduct.