March of time

Without the School of Music, Heather Rebstock wouldn’t have a degree, a husband, a job or a book.

In fact Rebstock, Music ’92 and Medill ’93, might not even be alive.

Her parents met at the School of Music more than 30 years ago. Then she met her own husband in the Music Practice Hall, affectionately known at Northwestern as “the beehive.” Rebstock went on to serve as an editor of Fanfare, the School of Music’s alumni magazine, and Alla Breve, the faculty publication.

Now, at 34, she is the author of “Advancing Music for a Century: The First Hundred Years of Northwestern University’s School of Music,” a glossy hardcover book that celebrates the school’s rich history.

The book’s 268 pages are filled with photographs, anecdotes from alumni and historical narrative that stretches back to the late 19th century. There are pictures of fraternity pajama parties, the first campus bands and the marching band’s trips to the Rose Bowl. Rebstock said she wanted to make a book that would appeal to everyone — not just alumni and historians.

“People love the photos,” she said. “I didn’t want it to be too intellectual or stuffy.”

Rebstock said she loved discovering even the tiniest details when pouring through files at the University Archives.

“I loved even the little things,” she said, “like the way they lived and their curfews.”

Bernard Dobroski, who served as Music dean for 13 years, helped with the book’s publication. He said he is impressed by the finished product and called Rebstock “an alum who gave 250 percent back.” Dobroski enjoyed reading about all the lives the school has influenced throughout its years.

“I’m struck and touched by all the contributions,” he said. “Not all histories read that way.”

The book is available at the Norris Bookstore and by filling out an order form at the School of Music’s Web site. Dobroski said he is not worried about the $75 price tag scaring away customers.

“It’s high but it only represents a fraction of its real cost,” said Dobroski, estimating the book actually cost nearly $125 per copy to produce. “If it were more affordable, we wouldn’t have been able to have all those photos and etchings.”

Ben Diskant, a Music and Weinberg sophomore, has seen a copy of “Advancing Music.” He said he appreciated that Rebstock chapters on recent years.

“I liked that there was a picture of Dominic Missimi, the head of the musical theatre department,” Diskant said. “So it’s contemporary, too.”

With the 2003-04 academic year ushering in a new Music dean, Toni-Marie Montgomery, the school is beginning its next chapter, Dobroski said. He will return to the school to teach next fall.

“Here’s a woman who is incredible, who will lead the faculty to a new level,” he said. “The next chapter is her chapter.”

Order forms are available on the Internet at music.northwestern.edu/centurybook/index.html. Copies also are in circulation at the Music Library.