Tour of tech gadgets stops at NU to showcase wares

A sleek, flatscreen laptop is hooked up to an external battery pack, and two Xboxes are linked so that eight people can play at the same time. A few booths away are a camera flip-phone with a 180-degree swivel head, a cell phone-and-iPod combo device and a sleek set of speakers blaring loud, bass-infused music.

With some of the latest, most technologically superior gadgets on the market situated within a few steps of each other, it’s no wonder the tour is dubbed “TechKnow Overload.”

The TKO Tour, which allows more than 15 major electronics companies to showcase their newest products, came to campus Thursday with six booths on the Norris University Center East Lawn. The tour is scheduled to visit 24 college campuses and will run through Dec. 4.

The tour allows students to sample products and collect stamps. Then they receive a raffle ticket and can enter a drawing for door prizes ranging from DVD players to T-shirts.

The Consumer Electronics Association is the tour’s main sponsor and was able to bring together companies such as Toshiba, Samsung, Microsoft and Sony to market their latest electronic, telecommunication and digital devices.

“Because CEA is sponsoring, it’s not a competitive thing between the individual companies,” said Colin Adams, the tour’s director. “Everybody gets to show their products equally. It’s a pretty ideal situation for the companies — and for the kids.”

However, it’s not always easy — or possible — for companies to gauge student interest for products, said Julie Adaire, a member of the tour working the Toshiba and registration booths.

“We try to gauge the number of students at each booth and see what the response is from the kids,” Adams said. “Lots of companies are basing their product line on this tour — seeing if there’s a market for what they’re trying to sell.”

Because gauging consumer interest is difficult, Adaire said the tour tries to build a consumer base by offering college students hands-on experience with some of the latest technology.

“I think the companies’ expectations are that we’re getting the information out there and letting the kids become more familiar with the products, letting them look at the products and playing around with them — things you can’t do in a Best Buy or a Circuit City,” Adaire said.

Josh Dickson, an Education senior, said he found the Toyota Scion intriguing, but would never buy it. The Scion, a sleek, technologically advanced car with a DVD player, has yet to reach local markets.

“Some of the stuff is a little out of the students’ price range,” admitted Ryan Mahoney, who has been working with the tour since its began in September. “But most of the students do get into it, and college kids have money these days.”

Anthony Ahn, a McCormick junior, said he wished the tour had offered better variety.

“I was kind of expecting more high-tech stuff,” Ahn said. “It seems more like a marketing or promotional event than actually looking at how far technology has come. It was stuff that you’ll find at any Best Buy. Honestly, it wasn’t that cool.”

Dickson also wasn’t impressed with most of the featured devices but said the tour does have potential.

“I like gadgets, and I kind of keep track of this type of stuff, so I wasn’t as surprised with what I saw,” Dickson said. “But I see how somebody else could have been.”