Arts Week features Latin performers, dance troupes

Featuring an international menu of shows and exhibits, Arts Week Evanston provides a variety of activies for those with an artistic craving.

In its third year, the annual celebration of visual and performing arts will descend on Evanston from Saturday, Oct. 11, until Sunday, Oct. 19.

Organized by the Evanston Arts Council, Arts Week includes open houses, performances and demonstrations at a variety of venues across the city and on Northwestern’s campus.

“Northwestern has become much more involved in Arts Week … weaving (itself) into the overall picture,” said Angela Allyn, coordinator of the Council’s cultural arts division.

On Saturday evening award-winning pianist Christopher O’Riley will perform his New-Age adaptations of music by rock band Radiohead at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall.

Pick-Staiger will also play host NU faculty member and professional marimbist Michael Burritt on Tuesday in addition to a jazz night on Thursday.

The Block Museum of Art will offer free tours Sunday, Oct. 12, and a concert commemorating the life of New-Age composer Luciano Berio will take place Friday at Lutkin Hall.

In addition to events on campus, the city of Evanston is hosting a wealth of activities.

“This is one of the most culturally rich communities in Illinois,” Allyn said. “(Arts Week) is a good way to experience it and go around while the weather is still good.”

The festivities begin at 1 p.m., Saturday with an open house at the Noyes Cultural Arts Center, 927 Noyes St. Community artists will share their work through theater and dance workshops as well as performances, open studios and galleries.

Another main attraction is the Dance Showcase on Saturday, Oct. 18. Held at the Levy Senior Center, 300 Dodge Ave., the free event features performances by students, choreographers and dance troupes.

“This is one of our biggest events, and it just keeps getting bigger,” Allyn said. “It has everything from amateur programs to international touring companies. And it’s the only time you can see all of them for free.”

On Sunday afternoon those eager to strut their stuff will have the opportunity to arrange and perform a piece with a professional choreographer.

The Resurrection Dance Theater Troupe, composed of boys from an orphanage in Haiti, will perform Monday evening at the Fleetwood-Jourdain Community Center, 1655 Foster Street. The troupe, currently on an U.S. tour, delivers a story of faith, culture and life on the streets.

On Tuesday, South African recording group Prophets of da City will make its U.S. debut at Evanston Township High School, 1600 Dodge Ave. A premier act in its native Cape Town, the group performs a show of breakdance and hip hop. It will return for an encore on Wednesday.

Tuesday also marks the Noyes Cultural Arts Center’s first ever Latin and Caribbean Day, in which visitors can enjoy ethnic art, food and music.

For those who want to experience Latin music but can’t make it until the weekend, the Tarima Musical Group will play Evanston Public Library, 1703 Orrington Ave., Sunday, showcasing contemporary and traditional sounds of Veracruz, Mexico.

And to conclude this diverse week, a first-ever closing reception complete with food and entertainment will take place Sunday, Oct. 19, at Gallery Mornea, 624 Davis St.

“It’ll be a nice way to see everyone one final time,” said Allyn. “It’s just nice to focus on the community.”

Lisa Clark, a Music senior, is an employee of the Noyes Cultural Arts Center. She said she is excited about the upcoming Arts Week — and other should be, too.

“If you’re into art and want to see some quality performances for free, then take advantage of this opportunity,” she said.