Wildcats’ defense will not rest (Mens soccer)

You’ll probably never find his name in the Northwestern record books, but Brad Napper isn’t regretting his decision to play one of the least recognized positions on the pitch.

The goals and assists haven’t been piling up for the sophomore defender, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t play an integral part in the Wildcats’ gameplan. For him, thwarting an opponent’s offensive attack is just as sweet as scoring a goal of his own.

“A clean sheet — not allowing any goals — might not mean much to some people, but that’s huge to us,” Napper said.

Without receiving much recognition, Napper and his fellow defenders have helped the Cats (4-3-4) remain competitive this year, even against top-notch competition. Still, it’s the offense, especially freshman sensation Gerardo Alvarez, which receives most of the praise for NU’s turnaround.

It’s easy to figure out Alvarez’s contribution to the team; he leads the squad with seven goals. It’s harder, however, to decipher Napper’s contributions, since defensive work doesn’t show up on the scoresheet.

“We’ve had to get used to that a little bit,” Napper said. “People who really understand the game will understand what we’re going for. They see us battling.”

More than most defenders, however, Napper does some of his battling in front of the opponent’s goal. He has already scored three times this season — good enough for second place on the team. That’s given him an opportunity to start a good-natured battle with the team’s forwards and midfielders.

“I give them a little bit of trash,” Napper said. “But it’s not a big deal.”

Although defender Jaro Pylypczak doesn’t have Napper’s goal-scoring prowess, the sophomore isn’t begrudging his classmate’s success.

“I did outscore Brad last year, so it’s his time to shine,” Pylypczak said. “But I’ll get a few soon.”

Like Napper, Pylypczak takes pride in his defensive work. But earlier this season, he nearly made the biggest error of all — scoring a goal against his own team.

In a game (he’s blocked out which one) Pylypczak almost headed a ball past NU goal keeper Brian Heckenbach and into the net. The two players, who were teamates on the Chicago Sockers club team and are good friends, now can laugh about the incident.

A first-year starter, Heckenbach does a nice job of complementing NU’s defensive allignment. The sophomore has played every minute this season, allowing just 19 goals in 11 matches. He’s turned in one shutout, a 2-0 blanking of Wisconsin-Green Bay on Sept. 17.

“My goal every time I step onto the field is to not give up a goal,” he said.

Heckenbach credits J.D. Martin, a second-team All-Big Ten goal keeper in 2002 now playing in Major League Soccer, for making him a better player. Although he played in just three games a year ago, Heckenbach said he learned by watching Martin’s focus from the bench.

“He came out to practice every time like it was the last one of his life,” Heckenbach said.

NU’s defense will be tested today when Loyola visits the Leonard B. Thomas Sports Complex at 4 p.m.

Last fall, the Cats beat the Ramblers in a 1-0 stunner in Chicago. Playing a man down after Napper was red carded for fouling the goalkeeper, NU secured a dramtic win off a penalty kick from now-transferred striker Tito Lara.