Kenny: Making good on promises … not Bush style

We need mentors to love children … and we need more talented teachers in troubled schools. USA Freedom Corps will expand and improve the good efforts of AmeriCorps … to recruit more than 200,000 new volunteers.”

Sound familiar? Last year it seemed President Bush’s illusory “compassionate conservatism” might have substance after all, as he promised to expand opportunities for young people to serve their country — beyond, of course, joining his Charge of the Light Brigade in Iraq. But like much of what comes from Bush’s mouth (weapons of mass destruction, anyone?) expanding AmeriCorps was just a Texas-sized empty promise.

AmeriCorps offers financial aid to young people in exchange for community service, and Northwestern students are among the most numerous and active volunteers, regional recruiter Alice Choi told me. Bush’s hollow endorsement notwithstanding, the program faces financial uncertainty and possible elimination.

Here’s a quick rundown on how Bush is shafting thousands of young, eager-to-enroll adults: An accounting snafu cut AmeriCorps off from millions in funding, thus voiding 20,000 commitments and cutting many community services the agency provides. Although the Senate approved extra funding, Bush crony Tom DeLay killed the measure in the House. Bush gave his typical “aww shucks” response and said he hoped the dispute could be resolved, but he did nothing to ensure the program’s survival.

Wait. So cutting taxes for millionaires and shipping American jobs overseas receive Bush’s utmost attention, but challenging members of his own party is unheard of? Supporting thousands of young people looking to sacrifice and serve, like our grandparents half a century ago, should be the hallmark of a wartime leader. Indeed, in this post-Sept. 11 era, what could be more valuable than a new generation of Americans showcasing to the world the noblest of American values?

Right-wing ideologues lambaste AmeriCorps for simply baby-sitting yuppies who see rebuilding communities as a cure for “liberal guilt.” True, volunteerism won’t die without a government agency, but actively promoting service engenders the patriotism the right claims anyone left of center is devoid of (see raving lunatic Ann Coulter for more info).

With a sluggish economy, it’s reasonable for all government programs to tighten their belts a bit. To be sure AmeriCorps’ mismanagement troubles contributed to the accounting error in the first place. But standing idly while thousands of young people see their commitments reneged upon — plus having the bravado to propose expanding a program his minions are hell-bent upon destroying — is a charge Bush must stand accountable for.

Bush as a 2000 candidate accused Democrats of “saying one thing and doing another.” It seems now he has his own spin on the slogan: saying one thing and doing nothing at all. Allowing good service opportunities to fall by the wayside and throwing away trillions in reckless tax cuts is neither compassionate nor conservative.