Hawkeyes can’t keep up with Spartans

For No. 25 Michigan State (4-1, 1-0 Big Ten) to upset Iowa (4-1, 0-1), quarterback Jeff Smoker had to play well. As it turned out, he played his absolute best.

Smoker completed 22-of-44 passes for 218 yards and two touchdowns in the Spartans’ 20-10 victory over the previously undefeated Hawkeyes. Smoker dominated from the outset, connecting on all seven of his passes in a 10-play, 80-yard opening drive capped by a 17-yard touchdown strike to wide receiver Ziehl Kavanaght. By game’s end, Smoker had set school marks for completions (478), attempts (818) and touchdown passes (48).

With the loss, Iowa dropped from 13 to 23 in the Associated Press poll. The Hawkeyes entered the game with the Big Ten’s top-ranked scoring defense, but the Spartans caught them off-guard by mixing in a hurry-up offense early on.

“They changed things up, they came out in a little different offense and threw some screens at us. They took us out of our rhythm,” Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said. “That first drive was a thing of beauty, certainly.”

MINNESOTA 20, PENN STATE 14: A steady attack from running back Marion Barber III (23 carries for 134 yards and a touchdown) and a timely interception by safety Justin Fraley gave No. 21 Minnesota (5-0, 1-0) a hard-fought victory over Penn State (2-3, 0-1).

The Gophers jumped out to a 14-0 lead late in the first quarter but were unable to do much more from there on out. Minnesota’s lead slimmed to 17-14 with 2:04 to play in the second quarter when Penn State quarterback Michael Robinson, playing for the injured Zack Mills, ran for a 10-yard touchdown score.