Spartans gun for perfect Iowa

Northwestern won’t have to deal with Ohio State’s suspended tailback Maurice Clarett this year.

The Wildcats might not even have to face Buckeyes’ quarterback Craig Krenzel, who won’t start because of a hyper-extended right elbow.

But that’s not going to make the Cats’ jobs much easier.

Ohio State (4-0) still boasts the longest winning streak in the country at 18 straight — but it hasn’t been a smooth ride. The Buckeyes started the season with a strong win over then-No. 17 Washington, but narrowly survived a scare against unranked San Diego State the next week. Then-No. 22 North Carolina State took the Buckeyes to three overtimes before falling, and last weekend the team struggled to hold off Bowling Green with backup quarterback Scott McMullen taking the snaps, as he will do on Saturday.

But, to the Cats, the point is that Ohio State won those games.

“They’re 4-0,” senior linebacker Pat Durr said. “Good teams find a way to get it done.”

That’s just what Ohio State has been doing for the last year — pulling out close games. Until finally managing more than 200 rushing yards last week, the team felt the impact of not having its leading rusher, Clarett.

Clarett was forced to leave the Buckeyes during the summer, after NCAA violations and other legal troubles surfaced.

Adjusting to the loss of two keys players is something the Cats can understand.

Last year they were “in disarray” after injuries to Durr and quarterback Brett Basanez, according to running back Jason Wright.

Now not only is NU more comfortable with its own team, the offense knows what to expect from its opponent — and understands its mission.

“In the running back corps we have to play the best game of our life,” Wright said. “They’re not tricky. You know when they’re blitzing; they let you know. When they’re not coming, they’re sitting back in their coverage and they say ‘Beat us.'”

And the talent doesn’t end on Ohio State’s defensive side of the ball. Durr couldn’t think of a single position where the Buckeyes were weak on offense, but knows the defense will focus on stopping the run.

“They’re going to run power out of every formation, I don’t care if it’s a quarterback draw,” Durr said. “But it’s a black and blue conference, you gotta come out and punch people in the mouth, plain and simple.”

Last year Clarett averaged 112.5 yards per game and had 16 touchdowns while missing three games due to injury. One of his replacements, junior tailback Maurice Hall, had just four scores last year. This year, Hall and junior Lydell Ross alternate as the starter. Hall has averaged 64.5 rushing yards per game and Ross has gained 38.5.

Still, the Cats’ defense knows that stopping the run will be their focus against Ohio State, because Clarett’s replacements are “pretty damn good,” according to Durr. To contain the two tailbacks, cornerback Jeff Backes says they will need a special ingredient which they didn’t have in their loss to Miami (Ohio).

“Defense is all about attitude, kind of playing with a swagger,” Backes said. “We lost that against Miami.”Iowa at Michigan St.

Time: 11:10 a.m.
Place: East Lansing, Mich.
Line: Iowa by 7
TV: ESPN Plus
Records: Iowa (4-0), Mich. St. (3-1)
What?s at stake: A win would give Iowa its first 5-0 start since 1995 and help launch a run to another Big Ten title.
Overview: The Hawkeyes are off to a torrid start. Their defense appears in top form after yielding only two points to Arizona State last week. Iowa will be missing leading receiver Maurice Brown who is expected to be sidelined until late October with an ankle injury. Spartans quarterback Jeff Smoker will have to battle through injuries as the team looks to build on last week?s gritty win over Notre Dame.

Indiana at Michigan

Time: 11:10 a.m.

Place: Ann Arbor, Mich.
Line: Michigan by 33 1/2TV: ESPN Plus
Records: Indiana (1-3), Michigan (3-1)
What?s at stake: Having lost their chance at an undefeated season, the Wolverines will try to get back on track.
Overview: Michigan looks to win its 22nd straight Big Ten opener. Chris Perry, the nation?s leading rusher through the first three weeks, will try to rebound from last week?s 26-yard performance. Indiana ranks last in the Big Ten in scoring offense and scoring defense so far this season. Its only win came against Division I-AA Indiana State.

Minnesota at Penn St.

Time: 11:00 a.m.
Place: State College, Pa.
Line: Minnesota by 1 1/2
TV: ESPN
Records: Minnesota (4-0), Penn State (2-2)
What?s at stake: A win would continue Minnesota?s climb up the polls.
Overview: With a 40-point performance this week, Minnesota would tie a 98-year-old school record. Running back Marion Barber III already has rushed for 10 touchdowns this year. Penn State running back Austin Scott has looked impressive early on, as he became the school?s first freshman since 1998 to rush for 100 yards in a game.

Notre Dame at Purdue

Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: West Lafayette, Ind.
Line: Purdue by 10
TV: ABC
Records: Notre Dame (1-2), Purdue (2-1)
What?s at stake: Notre Dame could turn around its disappointing season. Or Purdue could send its confidence sky-high with a win after last week?s 59-7 demolition of Arizona.
Overview: Notre Dame?s defense has struggled this year, allowing 28 points per game. This season the Boilermakers have an advantage over Notre Dame in every major statistical category, and Purdue?s Kyle Orton ranks third in the Big Ten with a 142.9 quarterback rating.

Wisconsin at Illinois

Time: 5:00 p.m.
Place: Champaign, Ill.
Line: Wisconsin by 2 1/2
TV: ESPN2
Records: Wisconsin (3-1), Illinois (1-3)
What?s at stake: Underachievers meet with a chance to begin Big Ten play on the right foot.
Overview: Wisconsin?s Lee Evans has staked his claim as the Big Ten?s top receiver, averaging 105.5 yards per game. The Illini boast a formidable passing attack led by quarterback Jon Beutjer, who has averaged 279.8 yards per game.