Mentally ill housing group celebrates 15 years, award

Housing Options for the Mentally Ill, an Evanston-based nonprofit, commemorated its 15th year Thursday night with news that it will share a $50,000 grant with three other local organizations.

The $50,000 grant comes from President Bush’s faith-based initiative, which provides grants to nonprofits, including some that have religious affiliations. Housing Options has no religious affiliations.

The charity will share the grant with the Coalition for the Homeless, Beth Emet Synagogue Soup Kitchen and the Evanston Ecumenical Action Council. Alexander Brown, executive director of Housing Options, announced the news at the group’s annual meeting at the King Home, 1555 Oak Ave.

Brown said the group will use the funds for technology and computer software.

Housing Options, established in 1988, now owns five Evanston buildings and rents 10 others. The organization houses 46 residents with chronic mental illnesses. The buildings are not specially marked, so the residents can blend with the rest of the community.

In its 15 years of service, Housing Options has housed about 120 residents. Many of the residents come from either institutions or nursing homes. Some of them eventually move out to live independently.

“People with chronic mental illness don’t have to be institutionalized,” said Sue Durburg, president of Housing Options’ board of directors. “There are great cost-effective measures that involve the community.”

Housing Options sparked a controversy earlier this year when it bought a building in Evanston’s Eighth Ward to house mentally ill residents. The neighbors had voiced concerns at a public meeting in April about the group’s plan to house four mentally ill residents without a live-in supervisor.

Housing Options’ staff said the controversy eventually died down after they invited residents and Ald. Ann Rainey (8th) to openly discuss their concerns. Brown said despite the initial reservations, the organization has not heard a single complaint about the residents.

The group commemorated its 15-year mark by awarding plaques to its founding members. Residents talked about the effects Housing Option had on their lives.

Michael Lasco credited Housing Options for helping him turn sober and acquire a GED. Before he came to the Evanston group, he lived in a nursing home.

“(In institutions) you share a room with one to three people behind a curtain with no locks on the door. You hardly had any privacy,” Lasco said. “I’m so grateful to Housing Options. They help me with everything and treat me with respect. There’s more independence. They’re helping me get a job.”

Another resident echoed Lasco’s thoughts.

“I don’t know what I would’ve done if they had not opened their love to mentally ill people,” said Claudette Beauzile, a Housing Options resident.

State Rep. Julie Hamos, D-Evanston, who serves as chairwoman of the Housing and Urban Development committee, gave the keynote speech at the meeting. She praised the organization and said she would push for more state funds for social services for people who are homeless or have disabilities.