Cats down Drake with late-game goal (Soccer)

There’s a rule on the Northwestern soccer team.

If the Wildcats don’t win, coach Tim Lenahan doesn’t let his squad watch a movie on the bus ride back — no matter how long it takes to reach Evanston.

So Gerardo Alvarez’s goal in the 82nd minute of Tuesday night’s game served two purposes. First, it gave NU (3-2-3) its third consecutive win, a 2-1 victory over Drake (5-2-1). And second, it allowed the Cats a chance to relax on their way home from Des Moines and watch Lord of the Rings: The Twin Towers.

The win gave NU a winning record for the first time since early last season when it was 3-2.

“The win on the road against a good team is a great, great thing, “Lenahan said. “One of the best wins in a long time for this program.”

The Cats scored first Tuesday, taking a 1-0 lead in the 70st minute on Brad Napper’s diving header.

Napper’s goal, his third of the season, came just a few hours before his 20th birthday.

“It’s nice — it adds a little bit to it,” he said. “It’s a good little birthday gift.”

A goal by Drake’s Matt Nickell a few minutes later kept Napper from being the hero on his birthday. That goal, which tied the match at one, set the stage for Alvarez’s game winner.

Alvarez, last week’s Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week, scored for the third time in the team’s last two games. He also leads the team with six goals.

“He’s just done fantastic,” Lenahan said. “Beyond that I think his work ethic and his energy is great.”

Even after losing the shutout, the Cats kept their composure and controlled the game’s tempo, Lenahan said.

“In the past, we hoped for a goal and kind of held on.” Lenahan said. “Now we’re talented enough that we can score some goals. But still, I’d like to win 2-0 every game.”

One game removed from his first career shutout, a 2-0 win over Wisconsin — Green Bay on Sept. 17, goalkeeper Brian Heckenbach stifled the Bulldogs offensive attack. The sophomore faced 11 shots and made six saves.

Heckenbach and his teammates have had success against NU’s string of non conference opponents. They ride a four-game unbeaten streak into Sunday’s matchup with Michigan State.

The Cats haven’t won a regular season Big Ten game since the 1999 season. But that doesn’t bother too many people on this year’s squad.

“Everyone is really flying high right now, “Napper said.