Trial CTA bus route changes worry some Evanston riders

Although the Chicago Transit Authority has expanded bus service in Evanston and the nearby areas of Skokie, Rogers Park and Wilmette, some residents are concerned that the changes have had a negative impact on Evanston riders.

At a monthly meeting of the Evanston Transportation Committee on July 17, several residents voiced their concerns about the new bus routes, which could become permanent after one year of the pilot program is completed.

“The new routes have isolated pockets of people by taking away the east-west routes,” Evanston resident Joyce Hutchinson said. “I’m spending a fortune on taxicabs.”

CTA introduced three new routes — bus numbers 200, 205 and 206 — on June 22. In addition, major changes were made to seven other routes, increasing the frequency of the buses and, in some cases, removing previous stops. The pilot program will continue for a year before the CTA will evaluate the success of the routes and make them permanent.

For CTA the program’s success will depend upon an overall increase in ridership, said John Paqet, a CTA representative.

“But it is likely this will go through a second experiment,” Paqet said.

Paqet added that CTA buses are not the only measure of success because Evanston has an integrated system with Pace, CTA and the Metra.

Although ridership might not increase on the buses, other transit systems could see an increase in the number of riders because of extended bus service.

However, some residents are concerned that the new routes have adversely affected some regular riders. For example, there is no replacement for route 202, leaving residents along Main Street without access to buses.

“People that live on Main Street need that bus route,” Evanston resident Charles Kopp said. “Even if the service is just hourly.”

Paqet said CTA will continue to study these new routes with on-board surveys, community meetings and route checks before making any of these changes permanent.

To comment about service, call CTA at 1-888-YOUR-CTA.

The Evanston Transportation Committee will meet next on Sept. 25 at the Evanston Civic Center, 2100 Ridge Ave.