From robots to martial arts, Reading Week teems with programs

Although today marks the last day of 2002-03 classes forstudents in the Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences, Northwesternorganizations and groups have planned a variety of events lastingthrough the end of Reading Week for any students needing a breakfrom studying for final exams.

In addition to the events listed, students can visit thePlan-It-Purple Web site at aquavite.northwestern.edu/cal/pp for afull description of campus happenings.

Academic Events

Ford Engineering Week comes to a close with the 12th annualDesign Competition at 9 a.m. Saturday on the Garrett Lawn.Participants have spent most of the academic year designing robotsto navigate a “Gold Rush” course. Last year 31 teams made up of 125students in all academic majors competed. The Design Competitionoffers students two independent study credits, as well as thechance to vie for prizes. The first-place team receives a $4,000grand prize.

A student-organized lecture series called “Last Lectures” willbegin on Tuesday with a speech by Slavic Prof. Gary Morson at 7p.m. in Harris Hall 107. Morson’s address will answer the question,”If you had to give the last lecture of your entire life, whatwould you say?” Jason Spitz, a Communication sophomore organizingthe lecture, said in an e-mail he hopes Morson’s lecture will bethe first of many similar events offered next year.

“Our goal is to find professors who have reputations as great,wise teachers and amazing speakers and ask them to give the lastlecture of their life,” Spitz said. “We feel like the professorswill have interesting and valuable things to say.”

Arts and Culture

Bunkasai, the Japanese Cultural Festival, will take place fromnoon to 3 p.m. Saturday in Annenberg G01. The Japan Club’s SpringQuarter event will feature the martial arts form aikido, as well asclassical dance performances. Booths with fish scooping and balloonfishing also will be available. Admission costs $5.

The Speed of Light, a play originally written in the CreativeWriting for the Media Program, will debut at the McCormickAuditorium on Friday June 6 with subsequent performances on June 7and 8. The show incorporates live music, film and acting and isbeing funded by Vertigo, Studio 22 and the School of Communication,said Emily Greenberg, a Communication senior organizing theshow.

Other Happenings

NU officials are encouraging students to attend the 10th annualCancer Survivors’ Celebration and Walk, occurring Sunday inChicago’s Grant Park. The event honors cancer survivors and theirfamilies and friends. Registration costs $10 before May 30 and $20on the day of the walk.

On Tuesday the second floor of Norris University Center willhost the Northwestern Health Festival. The event will featurespeakers on health issues such as eating disorders, drugs andalcohol, body image, relationships, sex and mental health. Thefestival lasts from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.

The Campus Kitchens Project, a campus-based program enablingcollege students to help in preparing meals for people in need,will be launched at NU at 10 a.m. Monday in Norris. The event willinclude comments from Evanston Mayor Lorraine H. Morton,representatives from SodexhoUSA and officials with the GreaterChicago Food Depository.