Music school to send off dean with tribute concert at Cahn

Bernard Dobroski, outgoing dean of the School of Music, said he doesn’t know anything about tonight’s concert tribute in his honor — but he’s looking forward to the surprise.

Music administrators, faculty and students have spent many months planning tonight’s event, “Celebration: A Concert Tribute to Dean Bernard Dobroski,” which will start at 7:30 p.m. tonight at Cahn Auditorium. The musical showcase will honor Dobroski, who will step down July 1 after 13 years as dean. Tickets are free but should be ordered at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall before the event.

The tribute will feature 12 different acts, including performances by NU faculty members, special guests, instrumental and choral ensembles and student groups such as Boomshaka and the Waa-Mu ensemble cast.

Richard Van Kleeck, Pick-Staiger’s director of concerts, said each act will connect to Dobroski.

“There’s never been a concert quite like this one,” Van Kleeck said. “I hope he is able to sit back with his wife and look at all of the enthusiasm the people performing have for him. It should be a very gratifying thing.”

Rene Machado, a Music associate dean for administration and finance, called the event “a labor of love” for Dobroski.

“It’s been a collaborative effort from a broad range of talent across the school,” he said. “He’s been such a major force in the school and helping to enhance its reputation that we just want to give him proper recognition. What better way in the School of Music than a big concert?”

As for Dobroski, the outgoing dean will take a one-year sabbatical before beginning his new role as a John Evans professor of music. He said he hopes to serve for “the next 15 years or so.”

“I’m looking forward to doing what I love most — interacting with brilliant young people and colleagues whom I’ve hired and I respect,” he said.