Quick start boosts Cats (Baseball)

The Wildcats will tell you that hopes of scoring another 36 runs against Chicago State might have been a little too optimistic.

Northwestern’s defeat of Chicago State on Tuesday wasn’t the 36-10 offensive annihilation of the Cougars (7-40) that occurred three weeks ago, but the Cats (23-17) are content with their 8-1 victory.

Judging by the first inning, it looked like NU was on its way to a second blowout. Leadoff batter Stanley Finch got the first of his game-high three hits, setting the tone for the Cats to bring home seven runs in the opening frame.

But Chicago State pitcher Jason Squier made some adjustments, and the Cougars held the Cats to only one more run for the rest of the game.

After the April 15 game, junior David Gresky referred to the Cougars’ hurling as “high school pitching,” but his teammates wouldn’t put Tuesday’s Chicago State pitching staff in the same category.

“This pitcher was much better than their last one, once he settled down after the first,” Finch said. “In the last game, I don’t even think their pitcher was a pitcher.”

Freshman relief pitcher Julio Siberio had a theory on why the Cats got fewer hits this time around.

“I think we didn’t get as many runs as last time because (the NU batters) were trying to make it a home-run derby,” Siberio said.

With 40 games and three months of play behind them, the Cats used the midweek game to give some of their weary starters a day off. NU coach Paul Stevens said he was pleased with what he saw out of his backup players.

“We’ve got a lot of tired guys,” Stevens said. “I was very, very pleased with the tremendous job of those who played today.”

Junior Jason Krynski stood out, going 2-for-3. Also, Gresky stole four bases to improve his season total to a team-high seven.

Although NU doesn’t hold midweek games in the same esteem as its conference games, Stevens said Tuesday’s game was important for the team’s confidence and overall spirit.

“It was a great day for a ball game,” Stevens said. “The birds were singing, the trees are blooming and the light, caressing breeze made for an atmosphere conducive to baseball.”

NU sophomore Evan Blesoff made his second start, striking out five and holding the Cougars to only two hits in six frames.

Stevens called Siberio to the mound in the seventh to replace Blesoff. Siberio, who made his sixth collegiate appearance, allowed only one hit in 2 2/3 innings.

“I wouldn’t say that I’m a midweek stud, but I pitched consistently,” the right-hander said. “I get anxious on the mound, but I’ll take any opportunity to play.”

With two outs in the ninth inning, Stevens put Jon Mikrut on the mound to finish the game. As the sophomore moved from shortstop to pitcher, Siberio headed to second base and sophomore Mike Phelps took over at short.

Stevens thought Mikrut, who didn’t pitch at all during the Cats’ recent homestand against Iowa, needed to see pitching time in preparation for this weekend’s series at Michigan. And the displaced Siberio didn’t mind the unplanned trip fifteen steps backwards.

“I haven’t played second base in four years,” Siberio said. “I wanted the hit to come near me, but if it did, I’m not sure what I would have done with it.”