Former Cats goalie inks deal with MLS

Coming into Spring Quarter, J.D. Martin was going through the usual routine for students in their final year of college — wrapping up classes and preparing for graduation.

But Martin, starting goalkeeper for the 2002 Northwestern men’s soccer team, received a phone call two weeks ago that changed his plans.

At 9 a.m., before his first class of the day, Martin was greeted by a call from Kansas City Wizards goalkeepers coach Tim Mulqueen.

“He said that (Major League Soccer) was looking to sign two goalies,” Martin said. “They were going to sign a kid from the Under-20 National Team — and me.”

Martin made it official Thursday by signing a one-year player development contract with an option to renew in December, making him the first NU player to join MLS. He will begin training with the Chicago Fire as soon as he passes a physical. Martin, who has been participating in NU spring practice, will skip the MLS minor league system entirely.

MLS functions by signing players to the league, rather than to individual teams. As a reserve player, Martin will not be on a roster, but can be allocated to any team in the league if a spot opens up. Training with the Fire allows him to finish his master’s degree in communication studies while receiving an MLS paycheck, about $1000 a month.

“I just think that for right now, I would definitely like to stay in the Chicago area,” Martin said. “(Training with the Fire is) something fun to do over the summer.”

Martin, who was planning to pursue a career in finance after graduation, will make the final decision on whether he will continue playing professional soccer after the season is over.

Martin’s signing with MLS is a fitting end to the goalkeeper’s record-setting performance in the 2002 season. The transfer from Rutgers set a single-season school record with seven shutouts and earned Second Team All-Big Ten honors in his only year at NU. With Martin patrolling in front of the net, NU notched eight wins — the third-highest total in school history.

“J.D. is an overachiever, a self-made athlete,” NU coach Tim Lenahan said. “He took a chance in coming to Northwestern, leaving Rutgers.

“This is kind of the icing on the cake.”

The only drawback for Martin, Lenahan joked, is the pay cut he will have to take by playing professionally — the base salary for an MLS rookie is $25,000, compared to $46,900 for the typical NU graduate.

But Martin and Lenahan have high hopes for the future of NU men’s soccer, especially following Martin’s success.

“As for the young guys, honestly, if I could end up signing an MLS contract, all those young guys could,” Martin said.

As the first Wildcats player to advance to MLS, Martin will become the poster child for Lenahan’s recruiting success. The second-year coach’s first recruiting class, in 2002, was ranked 28th in the nation.

“Northwestern may be, for now, off the radar screen, but the Big Ten is not,” Lenahan said. “The opportunity to play in the Big Ten is the opportunity to be seen.

“J.D.’s the first Northwestern player to play in the MLS. He won’t be the last.”