Tolles narrowly wins post

After Bryan Tolles received the phone call telling him he won the election for Associated Student Government executive vice president, he decided to play a joke on his friends.

“Thursday, no confidence and me: runoff,” the unopposed candidate said to his friends before telling the truth. “Nah, I won.”

Tolles, a Weinberg sophomore, was not that far from a runoff, having just 51.3 percent of votes cast in his favor. The top alternative, no confidence, received 29.0 percent of the vote. A no confidence vote means the voter wants the ASG Executive Board to select the position.

Tolles spent Tuesday night with friends at the 1800 Club, 1800 Sherman Ave., drinking and talking about sports. When the results were delayed, Tolles said he was glad he decided to spend the night going out instead of waiting anxiously in his dorm room.

“At least we’re in the right place,” he said. “The rest of (the candidates) are probably in their rooms jerking off.”

Geoff Radebaugh, a Weinberg sophomore waiting with Tolles, said he thought the delay was ironic given ASG’s reputation.

“I think the holdup represents the inefficiency of ASG,” Radebaugh said. “Our EVP, Brian Tolles, will change that.”

When Tolles heard the results, he immediately called his parents and friends who were not with him. Though Tolles said he was fairly confident he would win the uncontested position, he was excited to hear the official numbers.

“I’m ready to prove to student groups I’m here for them, that ASG’s here for them,” Tolles said. “I think (students) will be surprised that the Executive Board will be working together for students.”

McCormick sophomore Andrew Miller said he is confident in Tolles’ ability to fulfill his new role.

“If anyone says ASG is apathetic, Tolles will turn that around,” Miller said.

Asked whether he would consider running for ASG president in the future, Tolles gave a noncommittal response.

Said Tolles, “I don’t even know what I’m doing this summer.”