Officials, preschoolers unite during ‘Week of the Child’

The Cat in the Hat is back.

But instead of wreaking havoc, the cat — played by Dr. Marla Israel — will read to preschoolers today at the Early Childhood Center, 1500 McDaniel Ave.

Israel, the early childhood director for the Evanston/Skokie School District 65, will don whiskers and a stovepipe hat as part of the nation’s 33rd annual “Week of the Young Child.”

The week began after the National Association for the Education of Young Children, an umbrella organization of early childhood educators, felt a need to improve the quality of early education programs for children up to 8 years old.

The district’s early childhood program, which serves about 400 children, began celebrating the event six years ago, Israel said.

Israel is one of the numerous city officials, district officials and community members will read to District 65 preschool classes — including U.S. Rep. Jan Schakowsky, D-Illinois, who represents Evanston.

This week’s readings will emphasize the theme “Our Children — Our Responsibilities.”

“(I) want to show (the children) that we need to care about everyone and that we’re not that different,” Israel said.

Preschoolers will hear from Evanston Mayor Lorraine H. Morton, City Manager Roger Crum, District 65 Superintendent Hardy Ray Murphy and Evanston Chamber of Commerce Executive Director Jonathan Perman.

“The main events are the dignitaries coming to read,” Israel said. “The big grown-ups are coming in and spending time with (the children) in a meaningful way through literature.”

While some participants choose their own readings, Israel said others will be given selections from “classic children’s literature.”

Crum isn’t sure what he will be reading, but he is sure of the effect it will have on the children. “Reading is important and key to all further learning,” he said.

Crum is scheduled to read from 1:30 to 2:50 p.m Wednesday.

Schakowsky is scheduled to read Tuesday from 9 to 9:20 a.m., followed by Morton, who will read until 10 a.m.

Perman will read Thursday from 9 to 10 a.m., and Murphy is scheduled to read right afterward, from 10 to 11 a.m.