Alderman blames series of shootings on S. Evanston man

City leaders are blaming one family for a series of shootings last week that one alderman called the “worst attack” on an Evanston neighborhood in 20 years.

Ald. Ann Rainey (8th) said Wednesday night at a community meeting that Seneca Nelson, 22 — who was recently paroled on drug and gun charges and has returned home to live with his mother, Venus Nelson — is to blame for the violence. She also said she wants to make sure the family leaves their apartment on the 400 block of Callan Ave.

Evanston Police Chief Frank Kaminski agreed one man has been at the root of the problem. But Venus Nelson said she is unaware of what is causing the violence.

“I don’t know what this mess is about,” said Venus Nelson who did not attend Wednesday’s meeting. “(Seneca Nelson) just came home. The next thing I know, I hear some fights, while (I’m) sleeping.

“These boys kicked down my door. There was a scuffle, a gun went off and a guy got shot, then the police came.”

Police said the man who was shot was taken to St. Francis Hospital.

More than 40 angry residents voiced their frustrations about the shootings during Wednesday night’s meeting at the Howard Street Outpost, 633 Howard St. The first shooting occurred April 2 on the 700 block of Mulford Street and since then there have been two shootings on the 400 block of Callan, where the Nelson’s live. According to police reports, someone shot at a 16-year-old boy April 5 while he was walking his dog on the 600 block of Hull Terrace.

Edwin Hernandez, 30, lives on the same block and heard the shots fired. He said the sound of gunfire reminded him of his childhood when he was growing up in Humboldt Park, a Chicago neighborhood plagued by gangs during the 1980s.

“When I heard those gun shots right across the street from me, it just brought back bad memories,” Hernandez said.

The shootings have added to the Nelson’s problems.

Rainey said since January, Venus Nelson’s landlord has been trying to evict her from the building because she owes $3,000 in rent.

Nelson had been receiving a housing voucher from the Chicago Housing Authority but that aid ended in December, said Sandra Sharp, executive director of the Housing Authority of Cook County.

Venus Nelson said she understands why the landlord is asking her to leave, and she is ready to go. She said Rainey’s assessment was unfair.

“(Rainey) called me a lowlife, but she doesn’t know me,” said Venus Nelson, who has only seen Rainey in passing. “I don’t uphold that mess. I never talked to (Rainey).”

The Daily’s Jared Goldberg-Leopold and Ryan Maldonado contributed to this report.