Medill draws 2 high-profile Democrats for lecture series

George McGovern and Gary Hart, two former senators and Democratic presidential candidates, will speak separately to the Northwestern community during the next two weeks.

McGovern will speak at 4 p.m today at the McCormick Tribune Center. He won the Democratic presidential nomination in 1972 but lost to Richard Nixon. As a senator from South Dakota, McGovern was known for his opposition to the Vietnam War and his battle against world hunger.

Gary Hart, McGovern’s campaign manager in 1972, ran for the Democratic Party’s nomination in 1984 and 1988 without success. Hart withdrew from the campaign in 1987 after his extramarital relationship with model Donna Rice came under public scrutiny. Hart will speak at the Tribune Center at 4 p.m. April 10.

Medill Dean Loren Ghiglione said it is a coincidence that the two speakers are Democrats, as the intention of the Medill School of Journalism’s Crain lecture series is to bring a mix of public figures who will spark interest on campus.

“We want people who will stimulate thought,” Ghiglione said. “It’s a question of newsworthiness.”

Alicia Pardo, president of College Democrats, said she was perplexed to learn that high-profile Democrats would be on campus without her group’s sponsorship.

“We were surprised because we thought Medill would focus on journalists, but it’s great they’re bringing politicians too,” said Pardo, a Communication junior. “Until we find out how much money we’re getting from (Associated Student Government) for next year and are able to fund our own speakers, it’s great Medill is doing this.”