Senior’ prom closes generation gap on dance floor

A Weinberg freshman and an 85-year-old resident of Evanston’s Northshore Retirement Hotel may not seem the most likely of dates on Valentine’s Day Eve.

But when NU student Heather Titus and Sher Gaines hit the dance floor to an upbeat swing number Thursday night, the generational differences disappeared as quickly as the tiramisu from the buffet table.

“She follows really well,” Gaines said as he led Titus around the dance floor.

Titus and Gaines were participating in Hillel’s ‘senior’ prom, an event that paired NU students with residents of the retirement home for a night of dinner and dancing. About 150 people, including 75 NU students decked out in formal dresses and suits, gathered in a room decorated with pink and red balloons, hearts and tiny lights.

Gaines was the man of the hour, according to Titus. After he twirled her around the dance floor, other NU students couldn’t keep their hands off the swingin’ stud. Titus admitted to being a little jealous of her partner’s newfound popularity.

“I’ve never even danced swing before,” Titus said. “But I just followed him and it was easy. My date has now run off to break more hearts.”

Students and residents sat together in ten-person tables. In order to determine common interests between the students and residents, Hillel sent out a survey asking participants to describe their hobbies. Table assignments were based on the responses.

Most of the students said they had plenty to talk about with their ‘dates.’ Communication sophomore Jason Spitz was impressed with the wide range of personal experiences he heard.

“It’s great to meet so many people whose lives are just full of stories,” Spitz said.

The retirement home residents also said they enjoyed spending time with the younger generation.

“It’s interesting to hear where they’re all from and what they’re doing,” said Geraldine Freedman, a Northshore resident. “They’re very friendly and outgoing.”

The formal started off with a performance by an a capella group, the Undertones. After dinner, the dance floor became the evening’s prime destination, as students and residents were joined by real couples in dancing to jazz sounds from the heydays of the 1920s and ’30s.

“These wonderful ladies I danced with told me they hadn’t danced in years,” Spitz said. “It’s really fun for me. Plus they’re all really good, smooth dancers.”

Plans for the formal began in October, when Hillel members stared communicating with the Northshore Retirement Hotel’s social directors.

The event was publicized through dorm listservs, and invitations were extended to Greek houses and religious organizations. The formal’s organizers said they were thrilled with the turnout.

“We had such an overwhelming response that we had to turn some students away,” said Meryl Alper, a Communication sophomore who co-coordinated the event.

Although Hillel members have yet to determine whether the senior prom will be an annual event, students and residents said they planned to keep in touch. By the end of the night, many had exchanged contact information.

“I would like to keep in touch,” said Weinberg freshman Carla Merkow, as she wrote down her phone number for a resident. “(The residents are) very easy to talk to, and they have interesting things to say.”

Some students said they hope others have the same experience.

“I hope someone does this for the place where my grandmother stays,” said Lisa Nolan, a Communications freshman.