Garofalo lights up campus with wit

From “bowel movements” to the “black-ccent,” Janeane Garofalo’s stand-up performance packed a witty punch, zooming in on the absurdities of daily life.

“What’s with the black accent?” said Garofalo, who drilled jive-talking celebrities like Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera and Pink at the A&O Productions event. “I want to go up to Justin Timberlake and say, ‘Did you come up the hard way in the Mickey Mouse Club?’ What the fuck is that about?”

A crowd of about 1,000 laughed along with Garofalo at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall on Thursday night, eagerly watching one of the year’s biggest speakers as she tackled the entertainment and media industries’ lack of modesty and exploitation of women.

“How alarmingly disrespectful is it to a lady when the camera focuses on her ass?” she asked the lively audience. “I want to say, ‘Move over, Russell Crowe, we’re gonna have a balls cam.'”

Garofalo parodied today’s top reality shows, including “Joe Millionaire” and “The Real World” and criticized the media for glazing over more important issues.

“The news disrespects us,” Garofalo said. “How is the world supposed to make decisions, especially about Iraq, when we don’t get relevant information? The information we get includes words like ‘evil-doers’ — is this a fucking bed-time story?”

She spoke out against the pending war with Iraq but encouraged students to form their own opinions.

“We might as well live in a gated community if we choose to invade Iraq,” she said. “The pro-American status might just come to bite us in the ass. I’m not saying that I hate America. I’m saying that I hate the arbitrary imperialism of a country who wants to make all the rules.”

Garofalo also pointed out the “stupidity” of the American public.

“People say the American people aren’t stupid. … America is like the drunken frat guy of nations,” she said as NU students burst into giggles.

“She was amazing,” said Ryan MacGavin, a Music sophomore. “I never expected her to be that political.”

“The college audience is big for her,” said Natasha Little, A&O’s director of speakers and speaking events. “She’s a comedian we can all relate to.”

Garofalo has spent half her life in stand-up comedy and has acted in blockbusters such as “Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion,” “Reality Bites” and “Mystery Men.” The Emmy-nominated actress also has made appearances on “Seinfeld” and “Saturday Night Live.”

Garofalo not only admitted that she suffers from “mild irritable bowel syndrome” and an addiction to Cheez-Its but also spoke about more personal struggles.

“Don’t use the phone if you’ve been drinking,” said Garofalo, who talked about her battle with alcoholism. “At 24, alcohol became the absolute answer, but it’s not anymore.”

She kept the moment light with jokes about her obsession with food.

“I want to eat until I’m a gas-icky, colic-icky baby,” she said. “I watch the Food Network like I watch porn … I also watch a lot of porn.”