Local NAACP critics’ credibility questioned

An Evanston/North Shore NAACP officer challenged the credibility of two critics of the group, saying they are not even members of the organization.

First Vice President Hollis Settles Jr., who began a two-year term this month, contested the validity of comments by Peggy Tarr and Rose Cannon that were published Friday in The Daily.

According to Settles, Tarr and Cannon are not members of the Evanston/North Shore NAACP, making their opinions less valuable to the organization.

But Tarr said she remains a member, while Cannon plans to renew soon.

Both women have criticized the Evanston/North Shore NAACP and its officers in the past, including Bennett Johnson, the group’s president for the past two years whose term expired this month. Their complaints have included inadequate communication between the organization and its members, reluctance to take action in matters of civil injustice and failure to carry out the goals of the organization.

Tarr insisted that her membership status is current. She faxed The Daily a copy of a canceled check made out to the NAACP, dated April 10, 2002. She said the check was for a one-year renewal of her membership.

Tarr also faxed The Daily a copy of the cover of the NAACP’s official publication, The Crisis, with a mailing label that lists April 30, 2003 as the expiration date.

Cannon acknowledged she let her membership expire about a year ago because of qualms with the leadership, but said she plans to renew her membership within the next week.

Two years ago Cannon was elected secretary of the branch, but she stepped down before her term ended this month.

According to Settles, Cannon was asked to resign. Cannon said she made the decision without suggestion from other NAACP officers.

“I just couldn’t take the hostility,” Cannon said, adding that she handed the position over to Tana McDonald.

Settles said he is optimistic about the future of the Evanston/North Shore NAACP. He said he hopes to move beyond any negative sentiment that remains toward former administrations.

“My goal is to return the local branch of the NAACP to some credibility,” he said.