Sweet curtain call for Iowa QB Banks (Football)

IOWA CITY, Iowa — When Brad Banks walked off Kinnick Field for the last time in his career, he wanted to remember it.

So in the middle of the third quarter, when the offensive coordinator told him his day was done, Iowa’s quarterback took off his helmet, raised both hands in the air and basked in the cheers of 68,728 standing fans.

The showy display of emotion was out of character for Banks. But after the game, Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said the bashful Banks “just deserved it.”

Among those in the screaming mob of gold and black were his parents, who saw him play as a member of the Hawkeyes for the very first time on Saturday.

Afterward, Banks described leaving the field as “perfect.”

His numbers backed it up.

Banks completed 10 of 10 passes for 197 yards and threw three touchdowns. He also had two rushing touchdowns and 54 yards on the ground.

But Banks, shy and somewhat embarrassed by the attention, said he wasn’t perfect on the field. He credited his receivers with catching some bad passes and said he made mental errors.

Apparently, everyone in the stands missed them, as chants of “Heisman” filled Kinnick periodically throughout the game, even after Banks’ early departure. He didn’t receive any early attention in the Heisman race, but his campaign has continued to pick up steam as he has led the Hawkeyes to a 10-1 record.

While his teammates handle a lot of his public relations — mentioning his name and college football’s highest award together frequently to the press — the fans do their part as well. On Saturday, one Iowa fan came dressed as the Heisman trophy, leather helmet and all.

Banks’ reaction? “Man, these fans are just too much,” he said with a big grin. But as much as his stellar performance in the Hawkeyes’ 62-10 rout of Northwestern is going to heighten the Heisman hype — and Banks knows it will — the senior is just happy to be playing college football.

Banks is making the most of his final year of eligibility and his first year as a starter. His road to Iowa was neither direct nor easy, and Banks’ appreciation was evident in his emotional post-game interviews.

“It’s wonderful to be a Hawkeye,” Banks said. “These fans have been behind me 100 percent since I came here, and I can’t even say how grateful I am for that.”

Banks spent his first year at Central Florida but wound up at Hines Junior College the next season. Iowa stumbled upon him while recruiting a defensive end at Hines. The Hawkeyes were the only program to recruit him as a quarterback.

And while many of his teammates, particularly the other seniors, had to suffer through some painful losing seasons before this one, Banks said he is well equipped to be the team’s leader.

“They went through some hard times, but I went through a lot of hard times, too,” Banks said of his pre-Iowa days. “We’ve all come together now, and we’re getting close to our goals.”

And the Hawkeyes are closing in on them — if Iowa beats Minnesota next Saturday, they are guaranteed at least a share of the Big Ten title.

But on Saturday, Banks was too busy enjoying his last game at Kinnick to worry about the BCS or the Heisman.

“Sometimes I have to pinch myself,” Banks said. “But all of it’s been real, so I just have to be grateful.”