The Daily wins Pacemaker for a second consecutive year

ORLANDO, Fla. — For the second year in a row, The Daily Northwestern was named as one of the nation’s top collegiate newspapers, winning the Associated Collegiate Press’ National Newspaper Pacemaker Award for overall journalistic excellence.

The award was given at the Associated Collegiate Press’ weekend convention in Orlando, Fla. Out of 33 finalists, 17 college newspapers from around the nation, including The Daily, were honored as Pacemaker winners .

“I would like to think that something like this would make the Daily’s readers realize how much hard work and talent goes into producing their daily newspaper,” said Casey Newton, former Daily editor in chief. “At some point, you have to recognize that we rock.”

Newton, Medill ’02, led the paper through Fall and Winter Quarter last year. Current editor Matt Donnelly took over in the spring.

“In a busy newsroom, we don’t have enough time to compliment people’s good work,” said Donnelly, a Medill senior. “It’s a nice pat on the back.”

The Daily also received a Pacemaker for the 2000-01 year, presented at a fall 2001 convention in New Orleans.

“What this really speaks to is the outstanding efforts of all the people who I was fortunate enough to work with when I was editor,” Newton said. “It’s a testament to hard work.”

Illinois universities had three winners, with The Daily Illini, the student newspaper at the University of Illinois, and The Daily Egyptian, the newspaper at Southern Illinois University, also taking home Pacemaker awards.

“For a long time coming, other college dailies will look at Northwestern’s daily and see a true example of how good a college newspaper can really be,” Newton said. “It’s a paper that continues to set the pace.”