A return to winning ways (Football)

Northwestern’s 41-37 victory over Indiana on Saturday was full of noteworthy numbers: Quarterback Brett Basanez played for the first time in three weeks; the Wildcats’ rush defense gave up 100 yards less than its season average; and Jason Wright ran for a career-high 219 yards and four touchdowns.

Most important, NU (3-7, 1-5 Big Ten) snapped a five-game losing streak and a 10-game Big Ten slide. The Cats’ last conference win came on Oct. 13, 2001 against Minnesota.

But Saturday’s much-improved performance wasn’t just about numbers.

“We got a little rhythm going at times,” Walker said. “We started reminding me of us.”

Although it was far from flawless, aspects of the Cats’ play were reminiscent of 2000 — a fast-paced, high-scoring offense and a defense that made big stops when it counted.

The Hoosiers (3-6, 1-4) came in with an offensive plan to exploit the Cats’ rushing defense, which was giving up an NCAA-worst 342 yards per game going into Saturday.

“We were looking forward to it,” Indiana running back Yamar Washington said. “We heard the rush defense was terrible. We were ready to run inside, outside and everywhere. (The defense) was a little better than I expected. They got pumped up. I didn’t think they’d get that into it, but they were out there talking trash and everything.”

Indiana ran the ball 20 times in the first quarter and threw only one pass. The approach was successful at first as Washington broke three tackles and took off for 26 yards on his first carry of the game. The Cats gave up 5.5 yards per carry in the first quarter.

But NU’s defense toughened up in the second quarter, holding Indiana to 3.4 per carry the rest of the game.

“We wanted to get back to the basics — hitting hard and responding,” defensive lineman David Thompson said. “Playing like you need an Advil tablet the next play.”

Thompson and lineman Colby Clark agreed the defensive improvement was largely due to the “back to the basics” practices this week. Focusing less on scheme and strategy, Clark said the line essentially returned to the defense it ran during spring ball.

“What we have not done is respond to adversity consistently,” Walker said. “Today, our defense responded.”

Indiana led 15-13 at the half, but the momentum shifted in NU’s direction in the third quarter. After a fake punt on 4th-and-four came up one yard short, the Hoosiers turned the ball over to NU at the Indiana 26-yard line.

“Knowing (Indiana coach Gerry DiNardo’s) background — he takes some risks — I told the kids to have their antennae up,” Walker said.

Wright took advantage of the field position, rushing for 16 yards on his first carry and a 10-yard touchdown on his second.

On the next drive, Thompson intercepted a Gibran Hamdan pass at the Indiana 42.

Seven plays later, Basanez connected with senior wideout Jon Schweighardt on a slant run in the endzone to make the score 27-15.

Basanez saw action for the first time since fracturing his fibula against Minnesota on Oct. 10. Playing with a brace on his broken leg, Basanez had to settle for throwing and handing off — running the ball with his injury was difficult. The freshman’s arm looked stronger after three weeks off, as he completed 18 of 27 passes for 233 yards and one touchdown.

True freshman Derell Jenkins, who was in the middle of a redshirt season until the second quarter of the game, played one series. Jenkins kept the ball on four plays, rushing for 27 yards and throwing one incomplete pass.

Walker said he planned to use Jenkins more to fill the rushing void at quarterback, but the Cats “never had the right rhythm to go back to him.”

The Cats equaled the past two weeks’ scoring in the first quarter.

Basanez completed passes to nine different receivers, connecting more with the young wideouts and running backs than with the usual suspects.

Schweighardt and junior Kunle Patrick, the team’s leading receivers, caught only two passes apiece, while freshman Mark Philmore had four grabs for 40 yards and Wright had three for 59.

Despite Basanez’s hobbling, the NU offense moved with impressive speed at times. In the third quarter, the Cats moved the ball 88 yards on seven plays in less than two-and-a-half minutes for a touchdown.

The kicking game, however, was less of a well-oiled machine. Senior David Wasielewski missed the extra point after NU’s first touchdown. In the second quarter, he missed his seventh consecutive field goal, a 40-yard attempt. After halftime, sophomore Brian Huffman handled all kicking responsibilities.

“I didn’t want to do that,” Walker said of pulling Wasielewski. “I’m disappointed in the way we’ve handled placement. It’s obvious to me (the problem) is from his shoulder pads up. The kid can kick, he just isn’t making it.”

Huffman missed a 22-yard attempt in the fourth quarter when the Cats were down 37-34.

The fourth quarter was full of NU errors. Basanez fumbled on two consecutive drives to open the final period. The first fumble was forced and recovered by sophomore Herana-Daze Jones, who knocked the ball away from Basanez as he held it out for Wright. Jones then picked up the loose ball and ran it into the endzone.

Indiana botched opportunities of its own at the end of the game. Down four points on their final possession, Hoosiers’ star receiver Courtney Roby had linebacker Doug Szymul beat but dropped a pass at the Indiana 36 on 4th-and-four.

“After all was said and done, after all the bad play and the bad kicking game, our offense still had a chance to win the game,” DiNardo said. “On the other hand, Northwestern’s offense, when they were out there for the last time, they won the game. They deserve the credit.”