Students at Ariz. St, Indiana busted for shooting porn films

Here’s the proposition: A carload of porn stars drives on to campus and try to coax students and others into performing various sex acts for use in a movie.

As Girls-Gone-Wild as it seems, just that has happened at two universities. But officials say it would not be tolerated at Northwestern.

Students at Indiana University and Arizona State University have been disciplined or threatened with disciplinary action for their parts in pornographic films, parts of which were filmed on campus.

An NU administrator said a porn film company would not be allowed to shoot on campus.

“If we were to get a request to do a pornographic film on campus, I think we can safely say we would deny that request,” said Alan Cubbage, vice president for university relations.

But Cubbage said students do not need to ask for permission to shoot a film. The NU Student Handbook does not specifically prohibit lewd or indecent conduct, but authorization is required for commercial filmmakers to work on campus.

“If it’s a commercial operation, they do need to go through our office,” Cubbage said. “We evaluate those requests that come in.”

At Arizona State, Brian Buck, who was featured in “Shane’s World 29: Frat Row Scavenger Hunt 3,” was stripped of his position as the student government executive vice president and has had other sanctions imposed, including permanent probation.

Buck and other students were identified as having participated in a shower scene that took place in an Arizona State fraternity.

Indiana administrators said Shane Enterprises, based in Van Nuys, Calif., recently filmed on Indiana’s campus without authorization.

Richard McKaig, Indiana’s dean of students, said students involved may face disciplinary action ranging from sanction to expulsion. The Indiana code of conduct prohibits “lewd, indecent or obscene conduct,” but McKaig said that wouldn’t be the focus of disciplinary action.

“They more likely will have to do with student guest-host types of responsibilities,” he said.

NU has had its own “Smut Lord,” Adam Grayson, Medill ’01. Grayson has not starred in any pornographic stories but has run a search engine for pornographic films.

He gained notoriety after The Daily published a piece he wrote about his experiences as a smut lord. Newspapers such as USA Today and the Chicago Sun-Times ran their own stories, and a string of radio and television interviews followed.

“The administration definitely wasn’t fond of me,” Grayson said. “At the time when I had my 14 minutes of fame, people would call the university (asking for an official statement).”

Grayson, whose company catalogs specific data about actors and sex acts performed in pornographic films, said he knows the owner of Shane’s World and does business with them.

Grayson said Shane’s World is “not (pornography production house) Vivid Video or anything, but they have their niche.”

“It’s very Jackass — you know, MTV Jackass,” Grayson said.