Efforts to evade arrest result in brutality against local police

Evanston Police Department officers were victims of battery in two unrelated incidents on Howard Street last week.

In the first case, a Chicago man was arrested and charged with the battery of a police officer early Thursday morning after police mistook him for a retail theft suspect, said Cmdr. Michael Perry of Evanston Police Department.

Emell Terris Jones, 21, of Chicago was stopped by two officers who thought Jones matched the description of a man who had just robbed Jewel Food Stores, 2485 Howard St., Perry said.

Jones began throwing punches at one officer after they approached him with weapons drawn, Perry said. The officers were told the Jewel shoplifter was carrying a .38 caliber pistol. They got Jones onto the ground with the aid of batons, Perry said.

The officers drove Jones to Jewel to verify his identity. Witnesses determined that Jones was not the man who took the cosmetics, Perry said.

Jones is affiliated with the Gangster Disciples gang, according to police reports.

In another police battery case, an Evanston man was arrested after an officer’s face was repeatedly struck in a struggle Saturday.

Dale Edward Loebbaka, 37, approached a patrolling officer at 6:30 a.m. requesting help with removing two unwanted people from his car, Perry said.

The officer learned that Loebbaka was wanted for arrest in Chicago in connection with a case of driving under the influence, Perry said.

Loebbaka struggled when the officer attempted to handcuff him, Perry said. He pulled away from the officer and ran westbound on Howard.

The officer found him at the intersection of Bell Avenue, where the officer cuffed Loebbaka’s left hand, Perry said.

Loebbaka used his right hand to repeatedly strike the officer in the face, Perry said.

The officer attempted to use pepper spray, but Loebbaka knocked the can to the ground and out of the officer’s reach, Perry said.

The officer then drew his baton and attempted to strike Loebbaka’s right arm, but missed twice before hitting him in the right side of his chest, Perry said.

Two other officers arrived on the scene and helped to secure Loebbaka face-down on the pavement so he could be cuffed, Perry said.

Loebbaka was charged with battery of a police officer and resisting arrest.