Beck proves he’s no loser, baby

Beck and the the Flaming Lips didn’t simply live up to the immense hype that surrounded their sold-out gig at the majestic Chicago Theater last Friday — they transcended it. With an endless batch of timeless yet utterly contemporary songs and a good sense of humor, the two artists proved that pop music can be serious and enjoyable at the same time.

If fans weren’t privy to the unique setup of the tour, the Lips’ lead singer Wayne Coyne clued them in early on. “For people who don’t know the situation,” the exuberant, child-like Coyne explained during his band’s off-the-wall opening set, “after us, Beck will play by himself and then we’ll join Beck.”

Even though the combined attack of both visionary artists was undoubtedly the main draw for most of the audience, Coyne’s band did not waste their too-short 40-minute set. Accompanied by four giant disco balls, 20 dancers dressed up in full-body fur suits armed with high-powered flashlights, and a giant projection screen, the Lips’ performance was a feast for the eyes as well as the ears.

Right before the Lips took the stage, a video of Coyne interviewing Beach Boys mastermind Brian Wilson popped up on the projection screen. “Sometimes I’m too depressed to play,” said the infamously reclusive Wilson, who has always been plagued with severe stage fright. The introductory clip offered a good juxtaposition to the Lips’ over-the-top stage presence. Even though their music often sounds like a futuristic, psychedelic upgrade of some of the same blissful harmonies and melodies Wilson originated back in the ’60s, the Lips, unlike Wilson, know how to put on an exciting and carefree show.