Soccer hats’ bolster NU in midweek win (Men’s Soccer)

The Northwestern men’s soccer (7-8, 0-3 Big Ten) team has a new pre-game ritual for its midweek matches.

After a 3-1 loss to Illinois-Chicago last Wednesday, Wildcats’ coach Tim Lenahan bought an NU soccer hat which he made each member of the team wear in the locker room before Tuesday’s game.

“With the issue of the team coming right from class, I literally made them put on their ‘soccer hats,'” Lenahan said. “We made a conscious effort to get ready for a midweek game.”

And it worked — the Cats cruised to a 3-0 win against Wisconsin-Green Bay (3-11) at a chilly Lakeside Field.

Unlike the Illinois-Chicago game, in which the Cats allowed three first-half goals, NU struck first on Tuesday.

Freshman Tito Lara returned to his early-season form, scoring with a one-touch finish in the 11th minute on a cross from midfielder Adam Sirois. Both Sirois and Paul Elkins were credited with the assist. Lara had not scored since Sept. 13 against LaSalle.

With his fourth game-winning goal of the season, Lara now sits alone at the top of the Big Ten in that category.

“It’s exciting to be at the top,” Lara said. “But the important thing is to make sure the team’s winning.”

Lara scored again in the 33rd minute off another service from Sirois, increasing NU’s lead to 2-0.

The Cats were just too good for the Phoenix in the first half, reeling off nine shots and allowing none. Midfielder Dave Vargas shredded the Phoenix defense, repeatedly beating his mark down the left side.

Though Wisconsin-Green Bay had a few runs at goal in the first half, it never got its act together, advancing into the 18-yard-box only a handful of times.

Coming out of the break, NU didn’t miss a beat, as it continued to dominate the Wisconsin-Green Bay defense.

And a Phoenix yellow card proved costly when NU defender Brad Napper capitalized on Alexander Renzi’s free kick in the 57th minute.

Down 3-0 after Napper’s goal, Wisconsin-Green Bay intensified its offensive press and maintained possession for most of the second half.

Meanwhile, NU spent most of the half protecting its lead, playing conservatively and reactively against the Phoenix attack.

“I’m never going to complain about a 3-0 win,” Lenahan said. “I would have liked to have had a little more possession, but still, there’s a big goose egg on the board. The shutout’s very important to us.”

Wisconsin-Green Bay managed only two shots on the day, and goalkeeper J.D. Martin stopped both of them for his sixth shutout of the season.

The six scoreless matches tie Martin for the NU single-season record.

“It’s a team accomplishment,” Martin said. “I got guys like Brad, Jaro (Pylypczak), Elkins and Steve (Jedlinski) helping me out. I’m just one piece.”

With the non-conference win — all seven of their wins have been against non-conference opponents this year — the Cats now have four remaining games, three against Big Ten teams.

“All three of these teams (Michigan, Wisconsin and Ohio State) are teams we can get results against,” Martin said. “The next three games are going to decide our position in the Big Ten tournament.”