NU looks to continue success against non-conference foes (Men’s Soccer)

Funny thing about winning — once you start, you don’t want to stop.

The Northwestern men’s soccer team (6-8, 0-3 Big Ten) will try to continue its winning ways against non-conference opponents today as it takes on Wisconsin-Green Bay (3-10) at 3 p.m. at Lakeside Field. All of NU’s wins this season have come against non-conference foes.

“I think most of the time what motivates you to win in these games is that you don’t like to lose,” NU head coach Tim Lenahan said. “It’s important that we get to win so that the guys get used to it. It makes losing feel that much more painful.”

The Wildcats certainly haven’t gotten used to losing this season — they have not lost three consecutive matches all year — after having won one game in the previous two seasons.

NU is coming off a 2-0 home win against Indiana University-Purdue University at Fort Wayne in which it dominated both sides of the ball in the first half.

Wisconsin-Green Bay is currently riding a five-game losing streak, in which they have scored one goal and given up 14.

“They’re very much like us in that they like to counter-attack,” Lenahan said. “It just looks like we’ve done a better job defending, and we’ve gotten better results.”

The Cats will try to control the tempo of the game and deny opponents any scoring opportunities.

Anchored by freshman Jaro Pylypczak and goalkeeper J.D. Martin, NU’s defense has been solid.

Martin’s five shutouts are tied for second-best in the Big Ten. He is also one shy of the 17-year-old single-season school record.

The saying, “The best offense is a good defense,” holds true for Lenahan.

“Everything comes from the defense — if you put pressure on the ball in the back, the chances will keep coming,” he said after Sunday’s victory. “We want to be able to control the flow, play good defense, and we’ll get our chance to score.”

Leading the offense from the back is defender Steve Jedlinski, who has a team-leading three assists from the right fullback position.

Although both teams are coming off one day’s rest today, Lenahan said his team will be prepared for the mid-week match.

“The pace of the game will be a bit slower than (we’re) used to since (we’re) playing on short rest,” Lenahan said. “The guys are upbeat at practice, but it’s a midweek game, so we have to deal with the issues of coming right after class and playing a game.”

Playing on short rest, the Cats are just looking for a win.

“We’re building a program,” Lenahan said. “Every result teaches you how to win a little bit.”