Rookie leading in new position (Volleyball)

When the Northwestern volleyball team (11-7, 4-2 Big Ten) welcomes Michigan and No. 23 Michigan State to Welsh-Ryan Arena this weekend, its defense will be in full gear.

With Michigan (10-6, 4-2) still reeling from a .365 hitting percentage in its victory over Penn State last weekend, the Wildcats’ defense will have to hold the Wolverines to only a few kills on Friday. And with NU and Michigan tied for third place in the conference, the stakes are high.

Freshman Lizzie Carlson said defense will be key against Michigan, and she should know. Carlson is the first NU player recruited to play at the defensive librero position, the back-row spot newly permitted in NCAA play.

“I like playing librero a lot,” Carlson said. “It emphasizes defense and gives it more of a role.”

The librero player rotates in when her team is receiving the point and is restricted to only defensive plays. Carlson, who is distinguishable on the court by her black jersey, is not allowed to hit the ball over the net or serve.

“Having Lizzie at librero is a big help,” senior right-side hitter Kelli Meyer said. “It’s like adding a seventh player in all the time.”

Carlson’s talent, in particular, has been helping NU climb in the conference rankings.

As part of a strategy to beat the Wolverines and Spartans, Carlson’s role on the court will be altered this weekend. Fellow freshman Christie Gardner will take over half of Carlson’s time at middle-back instead of her usual left-back spot.

If the new arrangement is successful, the Cats will repeat it on Saturday against Michigan State (11-5, 3-3). Despite a national ranking, the Spartans are currently fifth in the Big Ten, a conference where the standings are shuffled each week.

“With the Big Ten so close in rank, every game is like the most important one you’ve ever played,” Carlson said.

The Spartans’ ticket to victory might be senior Angela Morley, who is on pace to become Michigan State’s all-time leader in blocks and block assists. The Cats’ defense will again need to be at its best against Morley, the Big Ten’s No. 2 blocker.

“We’re going to have to play amazingly,” Carlson said. “And our defensive system will have to be on, too.”

In the middle of one of their best seasons in two decades, the Cats want to continue to prove that they are a serious volleyball threat — and move up in the standings.

“Winning (this weekend) is absolutely necessary to keep our spot,” Carlson said.