NU’s two-game losing streak on the line (Men’s Soccer)

Coming off its second straight loss on Wednesday, the Northwestern men’s soccer team (5-8, 0-3 Big Ten) hopes to forget what might be its worst defensive performance of the season.

The Wildcats will be looking to snap their losing streak against Indiana University-Purdue University at Fort Wayne on Sunday at Lakeside Field.

NU is kicking off the first match of a three-game homestand against the Mastodons (2-11-1).

“We need to come in and play every game,” NU coach Tim Lenahan said. “We’ve lost two games in a row, and that’s the longest we’ve lost all year. We need to get back on the right track.”

The Cats are coming off a 3-1 loss to Illinois-Chicago on Wednesday, a match in which NU was throttled in the first half. The Flames scored all three goals then against the normally solid NU defense.

Lenahan said the Cats must refuse to allow such a defensive lapse again and will need to show up with more energy on Sunday.

“Hopefully, (the players) are as ticked off as I am and dig in,” he said. “We need to tie up our shoes, tighten up our belts and see if we can get after it.”

IUPU-FW features an attack-heavy lineup similar to Illinois-Chicago’s. Anchoring the Mastodons’ offense are Seth Fishelson (seven goals and six assists) and Ian Luya (six goals and three assists).

The Mastodons are efficient on offense as well, scoring 25 goals this season despite generating a mere 9.1 shots per game.

“It’s important for us to control the tempo of the game,” Lenahan said. “Counterattack when they attack and stay organized defensively, which is what we didn’t do (Wednesday).”

IUPU-FW has a poor record largely doe to its defense. It’s defense has struggled, giving up an average of 2.63 goals per game and allowing 240 shots.

Mastodons goalkeeper Peter Hachaj has a save percentage of .670, and he has given up at least one goal in each of his starts this season.

By contrast, NU’s defense, ranked third in the Big Ten, has given up 159 shots. Goalkeeper J.D. Martin is second in the conference in saves.

The Cats may have an advantage on Sunday, as the Mastodons will be playing on one day of rest after a Friday match against Akron.

The Cats will also have to play on short rest after this weekend when they face Wisconsin-Green Bay on Tuesday. But Lenahan said that shouldn’t be a problem at Sunday’s game.

“We’re hoping to bring a lot more energy than we brought Wednesday, ” Lenahan said. “Soccer’s a funny sport in terms of results, but we’re definitely going to be ready to play Sunday.”